Author Topic: Memorial to a REAL Hero  (Read 466 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Memorial to a REAL Hero
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:26:45 AM »
Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Danny Dietz, a Navy Seal was killed two years ago in a fire fight in Afghanistan. Severely wounded, he continued to fight, allowing one of his comrades to escape certain death. Dietz himself died in the exchange. The city of Littleton, Colorado is erecting a bronze stature of Dietz using one of the last photos taken of him. He is kneeling, dressed in his battle gear, and holding an M4. Probably the one he was defending himself and his team mates with the day he died, a hero's death. The City of Littleton wants to put the memorial in a park between the grammar and grade schools Dietz attended.
Six "&*%&^%^#"!!!! don't want the memorial there because it depicts him holding his M4, and these six "&*%&^$%&*" feel that it is too close to Columbine School and might en-spire another school shooting.
I served in L.E. for 20 years. I worked drug eradication ops in the Red River Bottoms along the Tx-Ok border in the seventies and eighties, I ran a swat team, and tactical K-9 unit, and saw quite a bit of death along the way. Some fellow officers. Probably more than the average P.O. does in his career.
HOWEVER, NEVER on the scale that my son, a Sgt. in the 82nd Airborne with three combat tours, (one in Afghanistan, one in Iraq, and now a second on-going one in Iraq), AND other REAL MEN, REAL HEROES, like Dietz. These men see in one day, what I saw in perhaps 5 years.
Men like my 23 year old son, and Petty Officer Dietz are MY HEROES. These are the type of men I was glad to have around on dangerous ops in my own youth. Afghanistan needed to be done, and although I have reservations concerning Iraq, make no mistake, our troops are going where they are sent, and performing as they should, where ever they are.
I look at the 15 British soldiers seized by Iran, and wonder. Had that been an American boat I visualize an armed stand off at the very least until more US boats arrived. Worst case, a blood bath on both sides, but a fight none the less.
There is not an adjective strong enough, or one that can be used on this forum to describe how I feel about these six, in Littleton Colorado protesting this memorial. These are PRECISELY THE TYPE OF MEMORIALS THAT "SHOULD" BE PUT UP AT SCHOOLS", AND THESE MEN ARE "REAL" HEROES, instead of the screwed up sports figures and hollywood drug addicts that most kids look up to now days. Fighting men that will put it all on the line, because they stand for something, and will back up what they say they will do, with more than talk. Whew!!!!!!!!! I'm still mad! This rant did not help.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Memorial to a REAL Hero
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
Dee,

I can't figure out why there are no responses to this thread. Guess you said everything that needs to be said.

My take is that Officer Danny Dietz is very much a hero. The monument should indeed be built between the schools that Officer Dietz attended. Like you, I feel that his monument would be inspiring to everyone, but especially inspiring to the children passing by it each day on their way to school. It might help some adults become more proud to be an American and not just take our great country for granted.

Back in the day, my high school had a huge trophy case positioned in the hallway right where everyone entered the school. The trophy case had a special honor section dedicated to all the young men who had attended my school and had also been KIA. The special monuments contained pictures of the soldiers, news clippings of the tragedies, folded American flags that had drapped the fallen soldier's caskets, and they dated back to students who died in WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I'm sure there are more now, but I haven't been back since graduating towards the end of the Vietnam war. I see the monument for Danny Dietz in much the same way I saw those monuments for the deceased heroes that attended my school. Those monuments made me realize that our freedom came at a huge price and they also made me proud to be an American. To me, it just seems absurd that those 6 people would think a war monument of a fallen soldier, especially a home town boy, would inspire another school shooting just because he would be depicted holding his M4.

As far as your Son goes, please give him a a big THANK YOU from me and my family. Please tell him that we are very proud of him too, and he, like all the men and women fighting for our side really are HEROES and that there are still many of us back in the States that  feel that way about our soldiers. May God's speed be with him always.

Please keep us informed on the progress of how the monument for Officer Dietz is going.

Skunk

Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser