Author Topic: 8 Rifle Range Report!  (Read 1591 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
8 Rifle Range Report!
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
Spent the day from 11-5 at the range today, fired 165 rounds thru 8 rifles, 7mm-08 Handi, 280 Improved Ultra, 270 Ultracomp, 308 bull barreled Ultra, 300 WSM Ultra, 45-70 Ultra, 500 S&W Handi and the .375H&H Encore.

Shot 120gr TSX in the 7mm-08, got a couple <½” 2 shot groups, but the 3rd always opened the groups to 1½”, need to work on the forend and load some more up with heavier charges, no pressure signs and I’m lagging behind the Barnes data for H4350, my velocity for 46.5gr was only 2705fps, about 150fps slower than their data in  a 24” barrel for the X-bullet.

I shot 2 different loads in the 280 Improved, 160gr Accubonds and 140gr TSX, got a tad over 3000fps with the 160gr AB before I started getting sticky brass and heavy latch release, accuracy was very acceptable at 1.3” but not what I was hoping for.  The 140gr TSX looks promising with group sizes about the same, but I still have plenty of room higher but I ran out of time before I shot all of the loads for it, velocity was 3080fps, have to wait until next week to shoot the rest.

I’m shooting the 150gr Nosler Partition in the 270 Ultracomp, worked thru about half the loads for it, nothing exciting for it so far, about  1½”-2” groups so far.

The 300WSM is a bit of a disappointment in that I never got to the goal of 3150fps, best velocity has been right at 3000fps with the 150gr CT Ballistic Silvertip and AA Magpro, also tried IMR4350, but that was even worse as far as velocity, both caused heavy latch release and and obvious frame flex, after the shot, there was a noticeable gap at the barrel and frame and the spent brass couldn’t be put back in the chamber and the action closed on it. The good news is the barrel still locks up fine and is just as tight as ever, so my underlug improvement is definitely working! I did get a couple nice 2 shot groups with it though, but at only 2990fps or so, just 30-06 velocity.

The 308 bull barrel made the trip today too, it  was digesting the 168gr TSX, very accurate it was with the right load, since it’s a bull barrel, I shot a 6 shot string just to see how heat affected it, I shot 2 loads in ½gr steps, 3 shots each, all back to back, the 42gr load of Varget was a diagonal string that measures .911”, each shot even spaced, the 42.5gr load was just above it, but one shot even with the first of that weight and one above and to the right slightly, that group measuring 1”.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/quickdtoo/308168grtsxg.jpg

The 45-70 was fed the 400gr Barnes SSSPs with H4895 today, best group was 2 holes touching and a 3rd about an 1½” higher, could have been me, could be the forend, I swapped frames out on that one a while back and will work on the forend a bit, velocity was 1726fps.

Had 2 loads for the 500S&W, 350gr Hornadys and 440gr Cast Performance, both with Lil’gun, 40gr got me a 2100fps and a 2” group, a little vertical, but not bad compared to what it was doing with the lower charge weights. The 440gr CP and
33gr at 1740fps put the first 2 inside an inch, the 3rd rounding the group up to 1¼”, Hooray!!  This barrel also got the underlug improvement, it’s still doing fine.

The last rifle to report on is the Encore with the 28” 375H&H Prohunter barrel, accuracy wasn’t all that great until I got to a max load with N160 and the 270gr Hornady RN, with 81gr, the first 2 rounds looked like one hole in the scope, the 3rd round opened the group to .708”, 81.5gr which is max, opened the group to an 1¼” cloverleaf. Recoil was substantial even with the PH thumbhole stock filled with 4½lbs of shot, I’d really not want to shoot it without that weight from the bench, velocity was 2670fps with the max load.

More to come!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: 8 Rifle Range Report!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »

Nice report Tim:

The 280 Improved sound like it's coming along...You might try doing what I did and bed it with RTV silcon on the forearm...just for S&G's...

The 375 H&H sounds like fun too... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »
That forend is on the 300WSM, I shoulda just swapped it out and tried it there!! That's ok, I still need to shoot the K31 and the 7mm-08 Encore pistol barrel yet, the next trip will be a refinement of the loads I worked on today, plus those that are still virgins! :D

The 300WSM barrel may become a donor for a stubbing, maybe a 6.5 something? 6.5x55 or 6.5-284??? ;D

Tim

Offline abner

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »
Hello

Tim when you go to the range you go to the range.  ;D Thanks for the range report. With your .500 have you tried any Unique with the XTP 350 Gn bullets? We shot my .500 this past weekend at 100 yds. with the iron sights. Best was 5-6 inches. I need to scope it. What scope would you recommend? I would like a high power scope, will an AO scope hold up?

Thanks

Have a great day

Joe

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:42:23 PM »
I agree, good report Tim thanks for sharing with us.
It's been interesting reading the follow up with the 300 WSM, and just goes to prove why it's not a good round for a Handi. Your numbers are nothing to scoff at, but seems to not perform, safely , much better then a -06 in a Handi. It's impressive in a good bolt action though, and can shine long distances.
Still, a 6.5-284 would be awesome 8)

And I always keep an eye on the 280 Improved, sounds like it just needs some fine tuning thats all. A very capable round, no doubt.

-Aaron

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »
Good report, Quick.

Wondering if you've ever shot factory loads in the .500.  If so ... how was the recoil with the loads you selected compared to the factory loads? 

Whew! a .375 H&H in a single shot from the bench.  Ouch!
    :D

Joe

Offline bljc27

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:56:51 AM »
Good report Tim.
When you go to the range, you don't mess around do ya? 
Thanks for rubbing it in that you spent the day at the range, while most of us had to work.  ;)

You know what they say, Any day at the range is better than a good day a work. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
Abner, I haven't shot Unique, just the Lil'gun, comparing pressures of different powders, it provides excellent velocity at considerably less pressure, so it' real Handi friendly. I have a bag of 385gr Remingtons to try next. That rifle has a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff on it for range work, had a 2½x20 scope on it, but it just didn't cut it for 100yd load work.

Aaron, I didn't think the 3000fps was too great, it's the same velocity I get with the 150gr Fed Fusion in my '06, true it would be adequate, but the pressure to do it was too much for the Handi frame, I'm sure eventually it would fail.

Joe, I've never shot factory ammo, it's a bit expensive, but my 350gr Hornady/lil'gun load compares to Hornady's 350gr factory load reported by John Taffin at 2150fps, it was at just a tad over 2100fps with 2grns to go before max. The 375 is a hand full, recoil is about the same as my 45-70 Ultra with the 2400+fps 300gr Nosler loads for comparison.

Yes, it was a great day, started out with possible rain in the forecast and the skies looked like it, but by 10am, it looked a bit better, so I packed the Rav4 and away I went, weather turned out partly sunny and 67º, with a bit of a breeze. If I ihad got there by 9am which I usually do, I could have shot all my loads, but as it was, several friendly folks there wanted to talk about the Handi collection, and were impressed by them, unfortunately, talking took up a lot of my shootin time! I had some 300gr TSXs to shoot in the Encore, and would have liked to finished the 140gr TSXs in the 280Imp, but.....

Thanks,

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 05:18:40 AM »
Tim

Glad to see you get some trigger time and i like the 308 info as it is at the top of my to get list , will be a few days till i get out again , temp went from 80 to 25 in the last 36 hours .  >:(

I need to getl my P-dog rigs dialed in for Hooker , the 22 mag is done and the 223 is just about there but the 243 & 22-250 still need work yet , don't think the 270 will go unless i can get the 90gr loads working . Have you tried any of the lighter bullets in your 270 yet ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 05:51:13 AM »
No, I haven't Stimpy, the lightest I've shot is the 130gr Rems, I'm working on the loads for that rifle to be used for elk, but it needs to be thoroughly shot with stout loads to make sure the underlug shim and improvement will stand up over time, it's one of my "test" guns for the underlug improvement. It's the thickest shim I've used so far, a .026" stainless steel shim that's attached at the end of the underlug in addition to within the pivot. ;)

Tim

Offline Chris2strong

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 06:16:03 AM »
Tim,

Don't give up on that 300 wsm yet. The best powder I found to work with this caliber is R19. I have the walmart special model 70 super shadow & I wasn't impressed with it at  all until I tried r19. My load is right at max: 70g, 165 grain Sierra Game king HBT, WIN brass & win large rifle magnum primers. It will shoot 3 shots in .9@ 100yds & my best 3 shot group at 300 yds was 1.98 in. I chronographed it and its average velocity was 3175fps from a 24 in barrel.  Also, the general consensus for the 300 wsm is that best accuracy is obtained using 165-168 grain bullets. So hang in there cuz I think you can easily reach your goal. Take Care & God Bless!!

Chris

HM1(FMF), US Navy
1st Medical BN
Camp Pendleton, CA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:25:36 AM »
Chris, I don't think you understand the issue, the 300WSM has too much case head thrust for the H&R frame, even TC and all the manufactures of Encore barrels won't make barrels in any short mag chambering, Bullberry did, but they were bought back and no longer offer them, and the Encore frame is stronger than an H&R. I was only hoping to reach 30-06AI velocities which it failed to reach, accuracy was acceptable at velocities below 2900 fps, I was testing my underlug improvement since the orginal owner set the underlug back shooting it with just a few factory loads and about 100 rounds total. If you read the Underlug Improvement link in the FAQs, you'll understand. ;)

Tim

Offline pagris

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »
quickdtoo:  What I want to know is this - How is your shoulder feeling today!  :o
Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »
Better than last time, didn't take the whelen with me this time, it had no extra weigh and just the standard H&R recoil pad, it hurt me the most, had a nice, colorful bruise after that trip, this time, just a little reddish spot!! ;D

Tim

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:11:15 AM »
Thanks Quick.

I appreciate the .375 to .45-70 comparison.  You provided a good reference for comparison.    :)

Joe

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
Now THAT is a good day!