Author Topic: D&T a 20 ga. barrel?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
D&T a 20 ga. barrel?
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
Some guys here have talked about doing this, but the local smith won't do it. I probably only have one other guy to ask to do it in the area. I will make some calls tomorrow to smiths in neighboring towns too but there aren't many here.

Any other ideas for a sight system for this project?

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: D&T a 20 ga. barrel?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »
any competent gunsmith will D&T a  20 guage barrel. If you want it done I am sure for the small extra cost of postage you can get it done. Why doesn't that guy that evidently calls himself a gunsmith not want to D&T at 20 guage barrel. You could almost do a 2 yourself with a drill press and a set of taps....<><....  :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
I tried to PM you a link for your closest Grander locations.  Their smithing charges are pretty competitive.  Check em out.  I think there is one pretty close to you.  Washington, maybe.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
I don't know about the smith my local gunshop uses. the shop owner told me he won't d&t a 20 ga. barrel, don't know why.  I plan to try several other gunshops in nearby towns as well as Gander MTn. this week.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
Had the same problem with my 10 gauge turkey barrell. I live between 2 gander mountains, one smith said no way the other done it with no problem. Go figure. Just keep at it and you will find one!! Good luck and GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »
Found a local smith who will do this and it turns out he advertises here- SSK Industries.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
That's great!!! Let us know how it works out and how much he charges you. It's always good to know the going rate for commonly work we have done and the quality of the work done by individuals....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:23:06 AM »
MSP-
No problem will post the report. I am waiting on a scope base from NEF now.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:04:30 AM »
That's great and thanks Jal5, wee will be watching for it....<><.... :)

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:18 AM »
I got an e-mail from SSK.  It says........ Figure $12  per hole to drill and tap--plus return shipping. .  Send the base and barrel:

SSK Industries  590 Woodvue, Wintersville, Oh, 43953    We shouldn't have it more than a week.  JD

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 11:25:16 AM »
that's the guy- JD. He wasn't sure he ever got any business from his ads here. We will have to fix that right guys!

Joe

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:38 AM »
He will have my barrel very soon. Just as soon as the base arrives here.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
great let him know you saw his ad here.
they do some very specialized work in that shop on barrels and special gun set ups. very interesting stuff.

Joe