Author Topic: Bushnell Banner repairable?  (Read 676 times)

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
Bushnell Banner repairable?
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:37:35 PM »
I just acquired an older Bushnell Banner 1.5x4 scope (for a 357 max NEF) that has apparently had an adventurous life. I'm not too concerned about the dings and scratches externally, but the crosshairs are busted, and if it ever was nitrogen filled, it ain't any more. Somebody had stuffed a piece of paper inside the eyepiece and when I looked in it the first time, all I saw was blackness. I unscrewed the eyepiece and took out the paper. In doing so I noticed the busted crosshairs.

Anybody know who might repair this? Or if Bushnell will handle older scopes? This one says "Japan" and has BL in a small oval on the tube.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bushnell Banner repairable?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:43:16 PM »
Kerry, it'll probably cost ya more to repair it than it would to just buy a new one, and a new one will have better coatings on the glass. But if ya want to try and get it covered under warranty, contact Bushnell and see what they say, you are the original owner, right!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Tim

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/us_repair.cfm

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »
It doesn't have a lifetime warranty.  They will offer you a dealer price on a replacement Banner or Trophy probably.  I had B&L Trophy BDC Japan and they would not fix it.  They are very nice people, Diane if I remember right.  You could give them the "customer service means......." speech, but there really isn't a lifetime warranty on their older stuff.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »
If you bought it without looking through it then throw it away and learn a lesson.  If you looked through it and saw it was busted and bought it anyway then throw it away and learn a lesson.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:50:20 PM »
It's funny, I have an old fixed Sears steel tube scope that the crosshairs broke in. I didn't want to throw it away being a strong and straight tube......so I found a new use for it.. being my new lapping rod to true up new 1" rings ;D
Not exactly by the book, but has worked very well and have 3 sets lapped by it so far, and no ring marks or other wise problems...
Just putting my experience with an old busted scope out there 8)

-Aaron

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »

Gee Larry,
Now that you mention it, I did buy it without looking. (Silly me :'() I bought it via the internet. Kind of like I sometimes buy things, like barrels, or various parts unseen, and by doing so, I make a decision to trust the guy I am buying from. My preference remains to trust folks rather than distrust or fear them. You will understand that there's a bit of a risk to these kinds of transactions.

Funny thing though, I'm willing to take the risk. (Especially if I think I am getting a "deal" ;D.) And you may be pleased to know I am completely prepared to write the whole thing off and toss it in the trash. But before I do, I'm also willing to explore other options.

And like myarmor (thanks Aaron) I've been thinking about other possibilites: "...so I found a new use for it.. being my new lapping rod to true up new 1" rings..."

Re: "learn a lesson" - The lesson I learned (and I  admit - I have learned this lesson more than once in my life, and will likely be taught it again ;) in the future.) is Ya win some, ya lose some. Perhaps this is not be the lesson you had in mind for me, but it is the one I got from this experience.

From reading other posts of yours, I think it safe to say you are not the kind of guy who criticizes others about how "stupid" it is to spend time and/or money in order to modify an inexpensive Handi rifle into some non-factory caliber or to customize it, when they could just buy a fancy customized piece for the price.

People make choices, people get results. Sometimes you get results you like, sometimes you get results you don't like. I made a choice, I got a result. Turns out I didn't like it much, so I asked some questions about how I might possibly modify the result. Simple.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline The Gamemaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
I do not know the value of a new scope, but if you put it in a box and send it to them, along with $20 they will send you a new scope.

They are all lifetime guaranteed, just that it would not be the best thing to spend $30 to send back a $30 scope.

As for E Bay - I do not buy anything there or off anyone else because of all the bad deals I have gotten in the past.

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 04:01:02 PM »
Thanks Gamemaster. I may look into that lifetime guarantee thing.

My experience with buying/selling on the internet, with eBay and other auction sites has been different from yours. This is actually the first sour deal I have had in about 4 years of moderate activity. I don't mind so much if I have to 'eat' this deal 'cause I've had a pretty good run so far.

And as far as doing deals with folk here on Graybeards, heck those have been grrrrreat experiences.  ;D

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:17:37 PM »
They will probably not repair it without a lot of fussing and raising sand on your part.  I know from experience.  They will honor it  after a lot of hassle.  They  give everyone a hard time on the obsolete stuff. 

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
I'm not much into hassle at this stage of my life... :P  Received plenty, and offered plenty...  ;) don't see much value in generating it in either direction anymore.

Anyway I'm not adverse to using it as a lapping rod, so it may just turn out to be an new tool.

DECEASED 6/6/2013