Author Topic: S&W experience  (Read 641 times)

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
S&W experience
« on: June 23, 2003, 11:03:31 AM »
It's been a while since S&W was supposed to have come back so when I had a M60 snub in with trigger problems that turned out to be a broken hammer pivot pin I assumed, 'no problem'.  I called Smith and explained to their service people the gun's like new condition(it's a home protection weapon) and low rounds.  A broken hammer pivot had to be a failure of the part. Both ends are supported when the gunis in service so there is little that can go wrong.  I've seen K frame guns with worn pivots from much hard use but even then I've never seen a broken pivot.  The said 'no problem, just send it to us'.  They even sent a prepaid shipping label!  About 2-3 weeks go past and then I get a bill!  For $129 to replace the pivot pin!  I called and the servoce guy, John, said he'd send it to the metal lab for tests...  Today I got the 2nd bill.. Called and spoke with customer service.  The lady said that this weapon was made in the 80's and until the early 90's (1992 I think was the date) Smith HAD NO WARRANTEE AT ALL!!!  Not even a material and manufacturing warrantee.  I've had the old S&W work on pistols before that had failed.  They always said that they stood behind the products always.  Had a M27 that spit lead.  Sent it back to Smith and when it return not only did it not spit but shot better than any I'd fired up to that point.  The letter that accompanied the piece appologised for the weapons failure and hoped I was happy with the repaired weapon.  I was wondering if any other folks had had dealings with S&W recently?  I am very disappointed..  I had thought Smith might be coming back, guess not..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline John Traveler

S&W warrantees
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 11:51:17 AM »
GunNut,

If the S&W telepone person told you there was no warrantee before 1992, they are full of CRAP!

I used to chat regularly with the people at t6he West Coast S&W Warranty Center in Monrovia, California, and they uniformly agreed that S&W had superb customer support and warranty services.  This was up to the middle-late 1980's period.  Police departments sent all their warranty service stuff there, and they also handled the S&W recalls and reworks for the problems with M19, M66, M29 revolvers, and all the recalls and improvements for the M39/M59 series pistols.

A broken hammer pivot pin is obviously a "manufacturing defect" and should be so honored.  They charged you $129 for pressing it out and pressing in a replacemnt pin?  That's OUTRAGEOUS!  If this is the S&W that has come back, we should have nothing to do with it!
John Traveler

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
S&W
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 03:27:55 PM »
Keep pushing!  Make it known you are irate and are not going to be charged for a problem in metalurgy.  Have them explain how a pivot pin could break from misuse!  Keep pushing.  You'll win.

Dan C

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
S&W experience
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 07:39:54 AM »
I've spoken to them several times and the last contact was a PR person.  It(initials only) said they sure would like me to be a satisfied customer but it was sure if the part had broken and it was their fault, it would have been fixed free..  Well I told her that the customer service(I'm really using that term loosely here) told me that S&W had no warrantee when this revolver was made and so they weren't going to cover it.  I can't wait longer so authorized a credit card charge.  I told them I would do a lot of free advertizing for them,,  and I certainly will. ALL BAD!  Spread the word the 'Old S&W' sure ain't back.
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."