Author Topic: New Restrictions For The Haul Road  (Read 384 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
New Restrictions For The Haul Road
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
Anyone planning for a self guided hunt along the Haul Road in Alaska just got a new restriction placed on them.  You now have to get a permit from the North Slope Borough to camp along the Haul Road.  Parking anywhere along the road for 6 hours or longer is considered camping.  This means that if you park in one of the gravel pits and walk in for the day, you have to have a camping permit to park your vehicle for more than 6 hours.  These permits are $200.00 for campers and $2000.00 for outfitters, guides, and transporters.

Now my question is.  If I and my buddy drive my truck to Chandlar lake and park.  Unload my ultralite and fly 30 miles west and camp on a buautiful little lake for a week.  Where we should take a couple of nice Caribou each.  Then I will have to make several trips to shuttle the meat to the road.  Will I be classified as a camper or a transporter?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Online magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Restrictions For The Haul Road
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:31:17 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of government regulations--and in Alaska, of all palaces.  When did you all first start to get Californicated? 
Swingem

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New Restrictions For The Haul Road
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:12:55 PM »
Got word today that the North Slope borough mayor said "We need to back off for now and take a hard look at this".    So everything is OK for the moment.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.