Author Topic: golf Ball Cannon  (Read 724 times)

Offline acoop101

• Trade Count: (0)
golf Ball Cannon
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:31:16 AM »
I want to build a cannon that can shoot golf balls,  :P ;D ;D when you get to that size does the rule of thumb of the walls of the cannon being as thick as the bore meen that there I would need a pice of 5 inch diamiter steel to make this cannon? Also do people have a recomendation on powder charges, I have some FFFG pyrodex, or should I go and buy something with fewer F's I think the largest they sell around here (San Luis Obispo Ca) is FFG so any charge recomendations would be apriciated.
Thanks In Advace

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: golf Ball Cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:52:10 AM »
Only the first few bore diameters at the breech end need to have the thick walls.  Look at a Parrott rifle or a Brooke.  You can build one that way.

Forget the Pyrodex.  It won't work worth a dam with golf balls as you can't get the pressure high enough to burn well.  While FFFg is not a good idea for anything over a half inch bore, a reduced charge would be safe if firing golf balls only.  But not with metallic shot; use Cannon grade if you fire metallic shot.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:43:52 AM »
You can mail order any grade of powder you want from Powder, Inc.

Maine Powder House should be checked out as well.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:34:10 PM »
If you add a powder chamber, then the breech end can be smaller - being 3x the diameter of the powder chamber, with adequate thickness behind the chamber and all internal 'corners' being rounded well (to lower stress risers).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »
One more thing so you can make an informed decision--CA law limits the amount of BP in "possession" to five pounds and only one pound in a vehicle.

Also, if you want to make a cannon, consider attending the cannon class at Lassen College this coming June.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill