Author Topic: Barrel twist of Optima Elite Centerfire Rifles  (Read 1141 times)

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
Barrel twist of Optima Elite Centerfire Rifles
« on: April 12, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »
I have been interested in the Rem. 222 in CVA Optima Elite center-fire rifle. I noticed on their web site that they list all of their center-fire rifles as having a 1 in 10" twist. I was wondering how that fast of a twist will work with a 22 center-fire? I always thought that a fast twist will only work good with the heavier bullets and the lighter bullets will not be as accurate or it will over stabilize them. The Stevens 200 in .223 has a 1 in 9" and yet most all that shoot it say that they have good groups with the lighter bullets. Granted that is a .223 and not a Rem.222. Can anyone explain what the best  twist rate would be that works with the Sierra Bullets that are 45 to 55 grain weights  in Rem.222? My reloading Manuel's are about 10 years old and they don't show that any of the test rifles have that fast of a barrel twist. My old Speer Manuel shows a Rem. 40 XB with a 1 in 14" . Which would be better a slow or a fast twist?   Thanks,              Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Barrel twist of Optima Elite Centerfire Rifles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
The 1-10 is fast, but it is not so fast as to not be accurate with the 40 grain bullets. Quality of the barrel is an issue as well, with a good barrel being more forgiving for the various bullets. The type & depth of rifling matter too, we have seen some 1-9 barrels of another brand not shoot the 68-69 grain pills like they should have, time will tell, but I doubt you will see that with the OE tube. It should be really good with 50-65 gr. bullets & if pushed fast enough, the 69MK should work, but upper end for sure, on the edge for the 222, but not for the 22-250. The 60 V-Max is one of the best Coyote bullets made (Dogbegone's favorite), & it should be perfect with the 1-10. I would try the 52 A-Max too if you like light bullets as it is long for it's weight.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »

One other very nice thing about these barrels...is the spec's they have...They go by  Ed Shilen's specifications...and this means they are closer to a minimum spec chamber..not a maxed out one...Which is a very good thing IMHO  ;)

I do plan on getting this barrel next now that I have a 308 ordered...this should give me a couple of nice shooters...If for some reason I can't get the 222 to shoot well with the 69grainers or 70 grainers..here's some ideas to kick it up a notch...

With a 308 Extractor...

22-250 Improved

Or that perennial favorite..

I think some awesome cartridges can be done with the 1:10 twist...Just some food for thought ;)

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:07:32 AM »
Thanks Nomosendro and Mac I think you both have good points about the twist rates. I guess it's like my son told me that bullets that are made now are much better then they were 10 years ago and as you both pointed out it probably has more to do with how the barrel is made. I will be looking forward  when it comes out.          Thanks   Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson