Author Topic: limbsaver recoil pad  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
limbsaver recoil pad
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
A few days ago i had a shop mount a cheap 3-9x32 scope on my winchester x-150 50cal. After he got it all set up i was asking about recoil pads and he brought me two, a pachmeyer " which i originally wanted on the rifle" and a limbsaver recoil pad. He made me a deal that if i put the limbsaver on and later on felt that i would have been better off with the other one, to bring it back and he'd put the other one of for me. So i had him mount the limbsaver on, took a while because he had to redrill new mounting holes, thank god the stock is solid and not hollow. Got it home and set up a 20 yard target and got the scope on and moved out to 50 yards and adjusted. The next day i took it out to 80 yards and shot/adjusted until i got it where i wanted it, moved out to 100 yards and put 2 out of 3 bullets into one hole. I was shooting a 385 grain great plains bullet, federal 209 primer and  90 grains pyrodex RS. I cant use the scope during muzzleloading season but that was still fun! Next week i'll be picking up a rest and shoot off of that and see if i cant get all 3 into the same hole. Back to the recoil pad, Im keepin it! Simply amazing at how much recoil has been cutdown with it. My dads 30-06 has more kick than this 50cal shooting that buick of a bullet. Plan to do lots more shooting but i may have to order some Bullshop bullets to try out. The stores around here dont stock the great plains bullets very often and i shoot them up fast.
 9 shots total that day sighting in and  never swabbed between shots. Nice to know the rifle isnt fussy about that kind of stuff.
 #6 shot was where i was going to leave it but decided it was a bit to high. #9 was more than likely a flinch or jerk of the trigger.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: limbsaver recoil pad
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
I've been using Limbsavers ever since they first were available, have one on every heavy kicker I own, plus a slip on for the new ones that don't have one yet!! That's a total of 10 including the one that comes on the TC Prohunter t-hole stock, Limbsavers are the best pad I've ever used to include Pachmayr Decelarators and Triple Mags. The pad that comes on the Optima Elite feels like the same material as the Limbsaver. If you don't like the stickiness of the pad, get some Kick Eez Slick Eez pad treatment, works great on them. ;) It also keeps them from deteriorating as you'll find out if you have em long enough.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:00:19 PM »

I've had quite a few Limb Savers & Triple mags myself..both are about the same as far as felt recoil..I've also had a few of the Hi-Viz recoil pads..they soak up even more than either...but are real easy to tear or cut...so I won't recommend them for any heavy field usage. I don't know who makes the Crush Zone pad for CVA/BPI but they are real good pads as well.

Looks like your getting it dialed in...and I agree..it looks about 5-1/2" high at 90yds...that is a bit much..but if you know where it's hitting all the way out..you can get used to it..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:37:31 PM »
I've had limbsaver pads put on a Rem 700 300 RUM, Savage 210F 12 gauge, Savage Weather Warrior 30-06, and my encore thumbhole stock already had it.  I can't say enough about how great those pads are.  Especially in the 300RUM, what a difference, I still ended up selling that one anyway.