Author Topic: Turkey forecast  (Read 2254 times)

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Turkey forecast
« on: March 25, 2007, 03:43:58 AM »
 How are the turkeys looking this spring? I was wondering with the ice storms and all if they are still thick in the hollers. I remember counting 22 in one pasture last spring around sun up while driving to work.

Offline rocko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Turkey forecast
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:14:15 AM »
There lookin pretty good so far. Ive been seeing good numbers on a regular basis around here and a little north of here. If this warm weather hasnt come to early and caused them to start breading to early we should have a good season. I know down this way alot of times there pretty well done when season starts. Just hope this weather aint gonna mess us up.

chad

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 04:17:32 AM »
I haven’t seen a lot of birds but have been hearing some gobble for over two weeks now.  Had one gobbling in woods back of my house a bout a week ago land this would set a couple of my pups of and their barking seem to just stimulate the old Tom and they went back and fourth for about an hour.  I don’t know which got tired of the exchange first. :D
RJ

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
I have seen several hens but not many gobblers.  I expect the next two weeks will provide more gobbler action.  :)

Offline RonF

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
I'm not a turkey hunter, but in my motorcycle rides around the Rolla area I've been seeing a fair number.

RonF

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
I was through the Rolla area just a few weeks ago. Visited some relatives on the other side of Fort Wood. Lots of birds down there. Just watch out for the armadillos.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »
Youth hunt was this weekend and it seemed the kids did very good inspite of the wind. I've been seeing a few hens and jakes but nothing to ge excited about. I do know some of the hens are nesting already in St. Francois co.

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:24:24 AM »
New report:  I had to go to Cape this morning, only saw a few hens in fields feeding. BUT, the dogwood trees are starting to bloom south of Perryville and  every Mo. turkey hunter knows what that means !

Offline rocko

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:23:26 AM »
10 Days and i cant wait.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »
I bet the jakes are strutting about now

Offline rocko

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
I put on a youth turkey hunt for another website this last weekend. Nothing but the mature birds were gobbling. The problem we found was hens going to the gobblers from every direction.Season should be good.

Offline rocko

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
Its almost here guys. Im headed out sunday for turkey camp at Montauk. Hopefully ill have some pics for you guys to look at sometime late next week when i get back in town. Good luck everyone and be sure and post us up some pics.

Offline Piney

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 10:12:13 AM »
Well, it will be interesting to see what Monday's weather will bring, will have to wait and see.  At any rate let's all get out there and give "ole Tommy Three Toes" a run for his money!

Good luck and hunt safe!

Tom
Disabled Vietnam Vet USN 70-72.

Offline rocko

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
I aint killed a turkey yet. But i did kill this little old wild hog this morning.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 04:59:06 AM »
Turkeys ain't just in the oak wood uplands.  I killed a 23 lb tom opening morning about 20 minutes after legal shooting light.  Shot him in a small opening in an otherwise cottonwood dominated bottomland field.  This was my third spring of trying and the first bird I've shot.  Didn't see any morels, though.

Rocko, where'd you shoot the pig?

Offline Piney

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »
Congratulations on the big "ole Tom" Sodbuster!

Tom
Disabled Vietnam Vet USN 70-72.

Offline rocko

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
Sodbuster,
        I shot that little ol piggy down here around Wappappelo lake. And congratulations on the turkey. Thats a good bird especially for your first.

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Hey Guys.......I am from the Sikeston area....work as a purchasing mgr at a food distributor...0-2 this weekend...nothing but hens and more hens.....never even heard a gobbler......but , I am hitting some private land in Stoddard country and north Scott county ....still no meat in the freezer....did you say Wappapelo...?  I been wanting to try that out .....many there , or just a few ?

I shoot Remington Deluxe ADL in a .270   a CZ 527 in a .204 and Remington shotguns.
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”