Author Topic: DC handgun ban decision & Brady campaign  (Read 606 times)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
DC handgun ban decision & Brady campaign
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Some time ago someone in this forum recommended participating in a Brady campaign website poll.  I did, and now the Brady outfit sends e-mails.  Below is an excerpt from what they sent today.  Clearly they are gearing up for a major court battle, and hoping to take our rights.  I hope the NRA is similarly gearing up.

Here's the excerpt;

In a 2-1 decision in Parker v. District of Columbia, right-wing activist judges on a Federal Appeals Court recently overturned Washington D.C.'s long-standing restrictions on handguns based on their twisted view of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution while ignoring more than 60 years of precedent — a decision that endangers America's gun laws coast-to-coast.

This case could land before the U.S. Supreme Court within the next 6 months and each month brings a tidal wave of work to fight this terrible decision. Simply put: we need your support today!

Please click here to make a commitment of $5 or more per month for the next 6 months. This affordable amount will automatically be charged to your credit card each month — unless you decide to extend, change or cancel your monthly commitment.

Your monthly gift will be a steady source of income that will help us:

Convene well-recognized experts in constitutional law and history to develop the most powerful arguments against the Parker ruling;
Assemble a comprehensive library of books, treatises, articles, court decisions and legal briefs refuting the "individual rights" view of the Second Amendment and make this library available to lawyers nationwide and on the Internet; and
Launch a major public education campaign including full-page ads in major newspapers and a new Brady Gun Law Defense Fund website. We'll also organize lawyers and law professors to write newspaper op-eds and letters to the editor to create a constant drumbeat of criticism of this decision.
This battle — to its very core — is the most important battle we have ever waged. We need your help today — your monthly support — to build a strong Brady Gun Law Defense Fund to save America's gun laws.

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
Re: DC handgun ban decision & Brady campaign
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
How do you spell desperate?  It's about time the shoe was on the other foot, but, we can't afford to go to sleep either.  Their "call to arms" sounds all to familiar and must be fought ruthlessly.

Assemble a comprehensive library of books, treatises, articles, court decisions and legal briefs refuting the "individual rights" view of the Second Amendment and make this library available to lawyers nationwide and on the Internet; and Launch a major public education campaign including full-page ads in major newspapers and a new Brady Gun Law Defense Fund website. We'll also organize lawyers and law professors to write newspaper op-eds and letters to the editor to create a constant drumbeat of criticism of this decision.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:44:08 AM »
I also responded to that survey, with a negative response but it didn't matter what you said or how you responded.  They now have my e-mail address and send me their regular updates.

Yes, it is good to know what they are thinking and nice to see them so desparate for $, but yet they remain an evil bunch.  I just love the closing lie they give you - doing all that we can to preserve America's gun laws - in a pig's eye................

Every time they ask for $5 for a new approach, I send it to the NRA.  Mikey.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:31:20 PM »
I just doubled their request for money for their war chest and sent it to the NRA.  I am posting this via email to all in my address book and request they do the same.  This is a fight to keep our weapons legally.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 03:49:26 PM »
Jesse Jackson had a huge rant in the chicago sun times right after the vote. You can count on him sticking his nose in this issue as well.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 06:43:39 AM »
When the national Republican party now calls for money (they call frequently) I tell them that right now the 3 purported Republican front-runners in the presidential primary are anti-gun so my wife and I are sending our money only to the NRA so the NRA can sort it out.  Democracy is not rule by the majority, it is rule by the majority who show up.  The presidential election that is under way right now could either backtrack on all the progress gun owners have made beginning with the Reagan administration (especially state level concealed carry and more recently so-called castle-law enactment throughout the nation), or of course we could see our gun rights trashed by the Hillary-Hollywood-Obama-Rosie machine.  If you have given as much money as you can afford, campaigns also need lots of free labor; at least many primary elections take place long before hunting season!

Offline deltecs

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
Wow, in the news today is the killing spree at University of Virginia.  The Anti's fighting the DC decision will have lots of emotional backup for ammo now another major killing sree has happened in the region.  As pro firearms owners, it is time to go into the field campaigning on these elections to defuse the Anti's push.  We definitely need to ensure that the candidates we vote and campaign for are actually pro firearms too.  Now, I am worried about the Supremes position when and if this appeal is granted.  Media info during a court case has decided the outcome before that was illogical.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »
Pardon me, Virginia Tech

Greg
deltecs