Author Topic: Why do I swage?  (Read 830 times)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Why do I swage?
« on: May 21, 2003, 08:41:57 PM »
Hello fellow bullet swagers :D
   I have thought of an interesting topic :idea2: (why do we swage?). Well for me it is a satisfaction of making a bullet, including the copper cup, from scratch and putting it all together, and then working up that special powder, primer, case, combination, and seeing it shoot 3 bullets, that you can cover them with a dime at 100 yards. To harvest a big buck, wild boar, etc, with a bullet that I produced myself. Like being akin to my great, great grandfathers, that poured their own  round balls from melted lead, into bullet moulds, that formed the round ball that then after loading it into their flintlock`s, squezzed the trigger and after the cloud of smoke cleared, they had harvest their meat for the week.
    The other reason, :twisted: , remember before President Reagan, we had to sign for all the primers, powder and bullets that we bought. Thank God President Reagan, did away with that terrible law. But we have other anti-gun future want a bees that would incorporate the same stupid law again. :x So I personally don`t care to let them know what I shoot or how much.
       Yes the equipment is expensive, time consuming. However I enjoy laboring over the tools, making my bullets. The main reason I do it all, eventhough I enjoy it, is for my grandchild. When he gets old enough, I will teach him what I know, I will pass on the equipment to him. He will carry on the torch, and if it gets to the same political climate again or worse, in his generation, then he will be equipped.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Robert

Sounds good...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 06:43:49 AM »
I have been interested in swaging my own, but so far I am just pouring some lead on a small scale.  I live in Oregon, and Corbin Industries is just south of here, I was thinking of visiting them, and maybe keeping my eyes and ears open for some used equipement.  It sounds like a lot of fun and very satisfying.
....make it count

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
Why do I swage?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 11:16:13 AM »
Go for it Robert :D
   We all wished we lived close as you do, were the type that if we were that close, we would be there 2 or 3 times a week, just to see what he had coming out. There some used corbin stuff that floats around on e-bay once in a while, . Anyhow go for it. Lots of luck.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Why do I swage?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 02:49:55 PM »
Hello everyone, :D

Why do I swage? Let me count the ways! 1,2,3,4… :)

I could say all the usual things that people like to say, like I swage to save money, to build a better bullet, to make a better reload, to be self sufficient, and the likes. But these are just the side benefits. The real reason I swage is because I enjoy it immensely. I will spend hours at my little swaging bench just trying allsorts of different combinations different partitionings, cores, materials, powders, solids, liquids, designs, shapes, and more, much more. I love to theorize :-D  and then put my theories into practice. Sometimes it pays with good results and sometimes it pays with bad results. With the good results I know they are usable and of course with the bad results I learn not to do that again. But the most important thing is that I’m always learning. Everyone wants good results and I can understand that but people forget that the bad results are equally important of course not quite as satisfying but still equally as important, because you learn from both, of what you can do and what you cannot do. The most important thing is that I am learning and if I’m learning something that I like to do than I am living. :wink:

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20