Author Topic: Rifle for Alaska  (Read 2335 times)

Offline 31 bertram

• Trade Count: (0)
Rifle for Alaska
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:09:11 AM »
I could be taking a job in Alaska, and since I'm a good ol Alabama boy, I have good ol Alabama rifles.  I have a 257 wby mag and a 30-06.  Will these  do the job, or do I need to think about something with a little more power?  Thanks
31 bertram

Offline NONYA

Re: Rifle for Alaska
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:58:25 AM »
that 06 will do ya,with the wide spectrum of bullets avalible for it you should be able to use it on sitka,b bear,g bear,moose,caribou and WOLVES.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:27:23 AM »
If a 30-06 was all I had, I sure wouldn't worry about it but, you are given an excuse to get a new rifle. Were I getting a new rifle just for Alaska, I'd start my search at 338 cal. As a handloader, my first choice would be a 338-06, then a 35 Whelen then a 338 Win Mag. If I didn't handload, I'd go right to the 338 Win Mag and never look back.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline jro45

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:39:16 AM »
Yes I agree the 338 Mag would be the rifle for Alaska. I would choose the Ultra Mag.

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »

Don Fischer

Don I must agree with you on this, With all the different loads for the 338 win mag who in the world would need anything more. From the biggest to the smallest creatures that live in the great state of Alaska, The 338 win. will do its thing........Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:47 AM »
Mind you I've never been to Alaska and likely never will get to go. But yes the .30-06 is adequate if minimally so with proper loads for any and all game in North America to include Alaska.

Are their better choices? Yes. Is the .338 Winchester one of them? Probably so. Is the .338 Ultra Mag? Nope not on your life. For fellow Alabamaian who like me has never felt the recoil of much over a .30-06 the recoil level of the .338W is pretty vicious. Way more than I can manage for sure. The .338 RUM is way more recoil still for no true gain in effectiveness.

One thing that a person who lives there I'd think should think seriously about is what's available to buy over the counter. The '06, .338W and .375 H&H for sure will be found I'd imagine anywhere ammo is found. Now if you reload this is less imporant really as you can get components for any of them with enough wait time for sure.

I wish some of our Alaska residents would chime in here as they NOT us folks who've never been are the best to answer this question.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:59:28 AM »
I don't live in AK but I've hunted there a couple of times, The 30-06 will be fine for anything but big brown bears, frankly these things have to be seen to be believed.  A 30-06 will kill them but when you see one up close you will think a bazooka won't be enough.  If you don't feel this way the first few times you are around them you might have a screw loose.  If you can't stand rust on your guns get a stainless synthetic, sooner or later (probably sooner) your firearms will rust, the stainless is much easier to keep up in the field though.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:14 AM »
I lived in Alaska for several years. Between Wasilla and Big Lake is a place called Rainbow, it's on the old Pitman town site. I lived back behind Rainbow about 5 miles in a cabin with no electric and no running water, reasonably remote. One of the things I discovered after being there for awhile is that there is not a 2000# or even 200# grizzly waiting behind every bush hoping for a free human meal.

Knowing the people I knew up there, I'd say that more shoot the 30-06 than the 338 in any form. And most popular then was the 300 Win Mag. Gun nut's and sage old hands highly recommend larger cartridges, it's part of the mystic of Alaska. Not much different than only Teaxs has good Bar-B-Q!

But the possibility for an encounter with some bear that might want to eat you certainly does exist. It also exists in Wyoming and Montana and maybe a lot of other places, so it would be sensabile to carry a rifle that can handle the chore. When I got there I had a od 660 in 308 and a M77 in 338 mag. I didn't even go to the outhouse without my 338 for quite a while after I got there. I ran a small trap line just for hares and on the line carried my 338!

After 6 mos or so I started carring my 22 mag on the trap line, got tired of lugging the 338 around waiting for the bear I was sure was there, he's probally still looking for me!

Here's the thing about the 338 Win Mag, IT RECOIL'S!!!HARD!! That's why if you handload the 338x06 becomes a better choice. A rifle you can't shoot well is of little use. But the recoil of the 338 mag can certainly be managed with shooting regularly. You'll notice, befor I said if you handload, I do. That being the case I don't feel any need to tolerate any more recoil than necessary.

Keep in mind that most of the people I met up there couldn't shoot a 338 very well because they didn't shoot much. The 338 mag is a great cartridge but it's need is over rated in my opinion. I think it's superior to the 300 mag and the regular 30 cals. by a good shot due to better bullet's. Then I think that for Alaska, the 338x06 is also a better cartridge than the 300mags because the truth is, you'll be shooting more at 100 yds than 300 yds and at 100 yds the 300 mags are harder on bullet's that start out with less weight than what the 338's can fire. I wouldn't own a 300 mag. It's half stepping and if you need more penetration and/or more power, 338 is a better idea.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Ratltrap

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »
Depends on where the job will be and what you'll hunt of course, but the '06 is plenty versatile for most anything. I hunted many years here with an '06 before I could afford more choices. 338 would also be a good 1 gun battery choice, particularly if you want to hunt brown bear. If you really want to hunt mountain game (sheep, goat, deer) I'd go with a lighter gun than what is usually offered in 338. With good bullets, a 257 Roy could be real useful on 'bou. Whichever you choose, make sure the barrel you have shoots heavy for caliber bullets well.

More important than caliber though is the rest of the rifle. Hunts here are usually wet and strenuous. You probably won't want to pack a 10 lb 26" beanfield rifle around. Stainless will make your life easier, but you can get by without. I went to good quality stiff synthetic stocks for serious hunting rifles many years ago, but some guys insist on wood.  If you want wood stocks make sure they are well sealed from moisture and well bedded and plan on doing the maintenance to keep them that way. For optics my rule is 'simpler is better'. There is not much need for high power AO target turret optics. I have reliable glass in good quality, low profile mounts from reputable makers in the range from 1.5-5 on my 375 H&H to 3.5-10 on my 280. My '06 had a 2-7x33 Leupold on it and that scope has been beat, but never failed me in any way.

Hope these few hints help.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »
Somebody who knows please tell me.  Is it better to shoot a 270 gr. bullet at 2700 fps (338 Win.  Mag) or a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 fps (375 H&H), all other things being equal. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
IMO as long as both bullets pass through bigger is better, I would take the larger diameter bullet every time. 

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
270 @ 2700fps  is VERY optimistic for a 338 Win mag.   Matter of fact 250s at 2700fps is VERY optimistic for a 338 Win mag.   I have yet to own a 338 Win mag that would take a 225gr bullet at much over 2700fps, and I've reloaded for 3 of them.  The tikka I owned was lucky to even get up to 2700fps with 225gr bullets.        On the other hand, I can easily get 2650fps with my 20" 375 H&H, and push 300gr noslers out at 2550fps.  Of the two the H&H will out stomp the 338 win hands down.   

I also loaded for one 338 RUM, and it would do 225s @ 3140fps, 250s just over 3000fps, and probably your 275gr @ 2700fps+ but not by much, and that is with 26" of barrel.    It was a noticable step up from the 338 win,  holds as much energy at 200 yards as the 338 does at the muzle, but requires premium bullets and a longer heavier rifle. 

Yes the RUM hits noticably harder than the win mag, but either will kill any moose or bear that ever walked alaska.  Even the 300 win mag is hard to beat as an all around alaskan caliber.  Your 30/06 will do just fine especially with the federal HE loads.  THey are stepping right on the win mags heels with 180gr bullet.  The win mag will edge it out with 200gr bullets though.   

What you have now with the 06 and the 257 will work just fine for now.  I wouldn't worry about anything more unless you really just wanted to buy another gun.   The weatherby will be great for sheep/goats/blacktails and wolves, and the 06 will handle the rest.  If you are on a dedicated brownie hunt you might want something bigger but I'm of the oppinion that 338 win really isn't a noticable step up from the 300 win mag and would jump up to the 375 or something bigger even, but thats a way down the line.  The 35 whelen is another one that is an excellent all arounder ever bit the equal to the 338 win mag in performance.   Another stomper that doesn't beat you up too badly is the 9.3x62.  The downsides to the whelen and the 9.3 is you almost have to reload.

Don't get me wrong the 338 win mag is a good all arounder, and you can get it in some excellent rifles, but you definately don't NEED one.  I would really hold out for a 375 H&H,  everyone should own one!

I would also recomend stainles/synthetic and high quality optics,  alaska will challenge the durability of your gear and a leupold or better will pay for itself very quickly.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
You really are fine with the -06.  It'll take anything we have to offer.  I dont want to get into the stopping power discussion like we have so many times....  You can take the biggest of big brown bears in a hunting situation with the -06, as long as you are shooting a bullet that will hold its form and penetrate. 

I do agree that bigger is better for stopping power, but you will still find me carrying my -06 far more often than my .458.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 03:00:58 AM »
I really thought someone would suggest the tried and true 45.70 in the short, quick marlin lever action........

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline NONYA

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »
there is nothing more tried and true than the -06
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
if 30/06 is all i had then yes, but if i had the cash a 300win or 338 would get it really done. But the 06 with good ammo can get the power of the 300win, like high power or light mag.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 07:52:37 PM »
First of all, I live in Alaska, as does Ratltrap, The Bear 78, and corbanzo.  I've lived here for 37 years.

As others have said, depends on where you are going to be hunting.  That depends mainly on where you are going to live, Alaska is a big state with seven differant geographic areas.  Southeast, Rainforest.  South Central, Temperate.  Interior, Arid.  The other two areas, don't ask!     

The 30-06 you have is good, especially if you are going to be hunting in the interior.  Around the Fairbanks area.  At least until you have been here a while and decide yourself that you need more gun.   If you are going to be living on Kodiak, I'd get something bigger.  I personally carry a 30-06 a lot, especially during the winter.  After the bears come out I also carry a .338.  I usually carry two guns when I go out, I have been known to brake them, and once even lost one.

The most populer gun by far in Alaska is the .338 Win Mag.  That's the gun that dumb ____ used to shoot a hole in the pipeline.  And you can find shells for them all over the state.  And it is adiquate for the BIG BEARS. 

As Ratltrap suggest wood is not good here.  In fact I have gotten rid of all my wood, on all my bolt guns.  Reguler wood stocks will ruin a hunt fast.  With the sudden change in humidity and temp. you are asking for trouble if you leave wood on any bolt gun.  You may think you have it sealed, then after trudging around in rain for two days you finally shoot and it misses by three feet at 150 yards you want to kill yourself, let alone beat the gun to pieces. 

Your 257 WBY will make a good Sheep and Goat gun.   It will also be good for Caribou, if you don't run into a Grizzly.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:08 AM »
31 bertram,
As Sourdough and the other Alaskans pointed out, where you live and what you expect of the rifle cartridge combination is an important consideration. Will you live in a big bear enriched environment and perhaps need a firearm to protect yourself? If I did, I would get the Browning BAR in .338WM.  I shoot the .338 WM and hunt with it too. It has a lot more recoil than I suspect you are accustomed to. With large calibers the weight of the firearm becomes critical; too light, too much kick, too heavy, and oh what a day you will have carrying it. This weight factor is why I quit using the .375 H&H. In general, if big bears were not an issue, I would not feel uncomfortable with the .30-06, and I offer the following site for you to peruse. I used to visit it when I thought I was going to Alaska.
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.resources

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »
Thanks targshooter....I think I would like to stay away from the Bears. Maybe Caribou or something like that.  I would be flying to Anchorage and then flying way north of Fairbanks to a Mining Camp located 160 km inside the Artic Circle. Thanks
31 bertram

Offline jdt48653

• Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »
you take the 06 & send me the 257!ha. ;D

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
In my area, I hunt with my -06, cause we dont have anything too big in my area.  Mostly blackies.  If I'm out where theres lots of bears, and Im not hunting, I carry a 12 gauge or my .458lott.  If im fishing in big bear territory and need my hands, I carry my .454, but with the 12 gauge strapped to the backpack for the hike in and out.

Actually, now that I think of it, I dont go anywhere without a backup revolver.

If you are doing the hunting, -06 is plenty, if you are doing anything else that takes away your conentration and might have to deal with a close charge, go bigger.

If I was to have a close encounter and had my scoped-06, I would probably drop it and take out my revolver.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline BigLost

• was I wrong?no,,,mistaken
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
the tally,,,,,kept by the people in alaska that get paid to do such things,,,,#1 by wide margin,30/06 ,tied @ #2,,.300 Winmag/.338Winmag,,,,lots of others are small#s,,not even close,,if you shoo the '06 well,,,get some good ammo and get after it,,hell boy,,, I trust my life,( and have in the past) to my old .303 british/180's,,,and your '06 is a fair step above my .303,,,if you have confidence in you gun and your shootin' and a good load for your stick,,your most of the way there!!!!!!COWBOY-UP!!!! ;) ;)
If You Knew Me Like I Know Me,,You Wouldn't Like Me Either

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 04:29:27 PM »
  I lived in Alaska for 25 years, and hunted most of the state.  I spent quite a bit of time hunting brown bears and most of it's other animials.

I could live with an 30-06 but i'd want it loaded with 200NP's.  A 7 Rem mag loaded with 175NP's will flatten anything in the state if you hit it properly.  It's a good all around gun if you can shoot it.  I don't like recoil and i don't care to shoot anything with more recoil than the 7 mag has.

My own personal rifle i built for the bigger stuff is a .338-06, and for big bears i load it with 275 Speers.  Second choise is 250NP's.

I agree with the "use the 30-06" and then see if you want something bigger later...  Loaded with 200NP's, it also will bust both shoulders on a big bear, breaking it down like should be done on big bears.

DM

Offline akchuck

• Save trapping take a kid
    • Fronrtier Freedom
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »
I've live and guided in Alaska for over 20 yrs. For many of those years the only rifles I used were Remington 700's 7mm with 175gr corelokt. I didn't see a single rifle in any post here I wouldn't be confident use for any big game animal in the state. I still use a 7mm for hunting however while guiding I carry a .375H-H also a Remington 700.
Chuck@FRONTIERFREEDOM
Southcentral Regional Advisory Council
Life Member NRA

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 12:35:24 AM »
if i ever hunt in Alaska again i will take either my Winchester Model 71 in .450 Alaskan or the Siamese Mauser in .375 Alaskan.