Author Topic: nikon w/bdc??  (Read 687 times)

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
nikon w/bdc??
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:58 AM »
anyone use the nikon with the bdc??
does it work ok?
at two hundred yards how much does the circle encompass?
is it enough for pinpoint accuracy out to 300-400 yards?
thanks
sureshot

Offline Ahab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: nikon w/bdc??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:13 AM »
I've got two and like them a lot. A 3x9 and a 4x12. The accuracy circle stays the same in the field of view, while the image enlarges as you dial up the power. Yes, you can get pin point accuracy at 400-500 yards. Please note not, all people like the arrangement. You'll just have to look through one to see if you like it.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:36:54 PM »
at two hundred yards how much does the circle encompass?

The circles are 1.5 inch per hundred yds. inside diameter at the scope's highest power only.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 03:51:53 AM »
I just got the monarch 3-12 BDC for a Tikka 308, I have been a fan of the Monarchs for some time
I really dig the side AO
I was breaking in the barrel on Sat and didn't try it past 100, will be curious to see how well calibrated it is

are you sure the inner circle is 1.5 MOA, I read it's 2, but perhaps that's outer,
with a little thought and practice you could use it to help with range estimation on known targets
using a tyipcal whitetail head size as frame of reference for example

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:40:41 AM »
Check out pg. 39 of the '07 catalog. It has all the reticle subtensions there, and elsewhere also in the catalog. That is one of the big advantages of the Nikons--their excellent Reticle Specifications section of their catalog.

I also use reticles for rangefinding, and that reticle has reticle-rangefinding written all over it. Any of the stadia points along the vertical axis (and the 2 horizontal axis points) could easily be applied for reticle rangefinding according to this on-line article--

www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

Item C) Reticle-Rangefinding--Ballistic reticle rangefinding

The system is based on a modification of the mil-ranging formula, and here's a link to a discussion concerning just that subject not too long ago right on this site--

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,124744.0.html

The circles themselves would be difficult to apply for rangefinding (at the scope's highest power) for anything much larger than a pr. dog's width when the subtension is only 1.5 IPHY inside diameter , but would be excellent for that particular application (the stadia to stadia subtension between circles could easily be applied for rangefinding by using the "modified mil-ranging formula" as detailed in the above references). The pr. dog rangefinding would be quick to apply as a backup to the laser, and would be accurate to around 400-500 yds. often enuf to make it worthwhile to calculate. It would sometimes net a 1st shot connection at very long-range, is always better than guessing, and will always save ammo trying to walk them in when simply guessing range. With practice it would be very quick to apply.