Author Topic: Sherdian Blue streak so much fun  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Trade Count: (0)
Sherdian Blue streak so much fun
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »
Dang the years have past so quickly :( Saw the Blue streak Trigger topic below. If I was the crying  :'(type tears would well up in my eyes.) I grew up with the Blue streak. I shot that pellet gun 100,000 times. 6 pumps would go through a coffee can. Ruin a Blue jays day. Some times I'd put the pellet in backward for a giant hollow point!!! Other times load two in the barrel.Shot it through a Chronny graph once 10 pumps gave 610 FPS 20 pumps gave 690 fps.I was disapointed I though it was much faster. I shot birds long distance. I use to love to shoot National Geographic magazines just to examine the bullet holes. Did all kinds of testing.Grouping that gun was super accurate.Every where I went birds were sent into eternity.I was a bird  sniper. One time I pumped it 25 times and shot a pellet thru 1"sheet of plywood.Sitting here typeing man that was 35 years ago. What a different world it was back then.One time I had a gun accident I shot it through my hand. WHAT????? :o :-[ Details some other time Saw the pellet hit the curtain,oh something is wrong looked at my hand and there was a fountain of blood coming out.I still have the scare. I loved that gun. Hey some one out there share a story about your Sherdian Blue streak :) ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Sherdian Blue streak so much fun
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:11 PM »
I've had a .20cal Blue Streak for a long time , most of the bluing is wore off the barrel, it's just mostly brass looking now, needs some attention, but it still shoots fair!! Had a Williams peep sight put on it sometime in the early '70s, made head shots on pheasant and grouse at 50yds with it, great little air rifle. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sixgunSal

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »
Anyone got one of them old ones they're looking to sell?

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
My brother and I bought one when we were in grade school. The price was $27.50 and that was in about 1961. Most of the time were carried it around with 3 or 4 pumps as the owners manual said it would last longer if not pumped up to the maximun every time. Ours would shoot about 1/2-inch groups at 40 feet. We shot lots of sparrows, but were in an intensivley farmed area so there was not much game. However, I did get a crow, a large snapping turtle, a couple muskrats, a squirrel and a few rabbits. I think we shot 5,000 rounds through it the first year. The velocity was lower than my 124 FWB (800 fps), but I think it had more killing power. I think the pellets weighed 14 grains instead of 8. Also, being a pneumatic it did not vibrate so was easier to shoot accurately and one could carry it around loaded and ready to fire. Twenty years later the accuracy appeared to have dropped off and I discovered the problem. The newer Sheridan pellets were of lower quality. Their skirt was not completly symetrical. That is, the skirt was lacking a little lead on one side. I found that if I put the pellet in the barrel with the dented side of the skirt orented the same way every time, accuracy was much better. Also, accuracy was better with the pellet backwards. The balilstic coeficient was probably pretty bad, but it was likw a very large hollow point. The later bluestreaks were not as nicely made as our old one. A cousin of mine got a blue streak with fancy wood and this was about 1965. The only drawback of the blue streaks is that they are very loud. I now use my pellet guns for pest bird control work in the backyard and the bluestreak would make too much noise for that. I wish someone would make a pneumatic like to old bluestreaks (nice workmanship, nice wood and same looks), only in .25 caliber, and built for more pressure so one could get 800 fps with their heavy pellets.

Offline Ironworker

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:24:19 AM »
Yes no doubt the Blue streak was loud. 10 pumps produced Aproximatly 600+ FPS.  The modern pellet guns are awesome.Too heavy for a kid plus way too exspensive and powerful