Author Topic: Burris or Leupy compact spotting scopes??  (Read 334 times)

Offline Predator

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris or Leupy compact spotting scopes??
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:27:25 PM »
I was considering the 12-24*50 for a lightweight supplement to binoculars.  I have also looked at the Leupy 10-20*40 but it is considerably more money.

Which one would you guys recommend given the price difference.  Is the Leupy considerably better and worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Burris or Leupy compact spotting scopes??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »
Good question, and somewhat related to my post regarding the "3 little bears."

Given that most of my hunting does not involve the need for binoculars, my experience with them is less than that with scopes.  However, that said, I would say that, just like I believe that leupold scopes are mildly overpriced in the market, so to do I believe the same of their binos.

I encourage you to take a look at the Nikon Monarch binos.  They have excellent glass and have served me very well.  However, I am not aware of how light you need binos to be, so just look at the specs.

Keep in mind that with Binos, I believe that quality optics are more important than with scopes.  Why?  Because, as most people will tell you, if you look through Bino "X" with poor optics, then your eyes will hurt or at least cause fatigue during longer time of glassing.  However, if you look through Bino "Z" with great optics, then you can look longer as it won't cause stress on your eyes.  With scopes, although optics is still very important, you are really only looking through it for about 30 seconds, or less, depnding on the shot.

Zachar