Author Topic: Charter Arms Revolvers  (Read 1078 times)

Offline jsoukup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Charter Arms Revolvers
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »
I recently bought a police scanner and while I always knew there was a lot of crime in the city, I was surprised to hear there was a lot more than I ever heard about. Seems to be at least one shooting or "shots fired" everyday within spitting distance of my home. And while I've always been defense minded, I've decided it's time to get the concealed carry permit.

I've got a good 9mm and a great 45 1911, but I'm thinking I want to carry a small 5 shot 38 special revolver because it's so light and small, and I'm more likely to carry it on a late night run to the grocery store than one of my bigger autos. I already have a Charter Arms Off Duty in 38 special, it's got a few miles on it (S#94XXXX). I've used it as a backup in the past, but I'd like to use it as a primary.

I've always read these little revolvers should not be used with +P ammo, so I've always loaded it with Winchester Silvertips (non +P). I was checking on the Charter Arms website and they say +P ammo can be used with their revolvers. Do you think this applies to the older guns or just the newer ones. Anyone shoot +P ammo in an older Charter 38?

I'm also thinking about buying a new Charter in 38 or 357, anyone else have one? How do you like it?

I could buy a S&W or a Taurus, but I like the Charter because they're light (16 oz), more accurate than a S&W, and cost effective (cheap).

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
Re: Charter Arms Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:12:06 AM »
Best to call Charter Arms w/ a serial number. Most likely +P is NOT OK in an older gun, but I would contact the maker.

I would probably stick with a 38+P rated new gun, if buying, but your current gun is not lacking in anything.

You might also look at Kel Tec, since you are familiar with autopistols. I'm debating the P-32, P3AT, and P-11. I like the idea of more bullets than 5, and the P-11 is actually a little smaller and lighter than most 5shot revolvers. BUT, the 32 and 380's are a TON smaller than the 9mm....DILEMMA!

Anyway, sounds like you got a good gun already. If you want a new one, by all means, go ahead, it would definitely be +P rated.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:53:48 AM »
That Charter is a steel frame and is good for all the +P ammo you wish to run thought it!  I've had a couple of undercovers by Charter and loved them (one had a 4 digit serial number).  They are light, accurate, and dependable.  They are a good gun that does not get the respect that they deserve.  My present carry is an old Bulldog .44 that has been sweetly caressed by Ken Kelly at Mag-na-port.  I love it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
this is what i know from asking and reading about old 5 shooters(s&w 60s, Charter arms, others) in a book call great combat guns Charter arms and s&W with there thick 5 shots can shoot +p ammo but it will wear your parts out faster( there were not made for +P but the maker knows +p could be used so they were make so if +P was used the gun could take it ). Is it safe probbly yeah, but if you shoot a lot of +P you gun would last as long.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends