Author Topic: How to measure groupings  (Read 852 times)

Offline Muscles

• Trade Count: (0)
How to measure groupings
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »
Hey Guys, got a question, how do most people measure there groups, From the outside edge of the 2 furthest point of impact or from the center of the bullet of one to the furthest center of the other.  Here are my best 2 groups from my Handy 223 bull barrel.  We need to prove to people that these little guns can perform as well as remingtons or savages..........right!!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: How to measure groupings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
Center to center.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
Group size is expressed in center to center dimension, but the easiest way to measure it is outside edge to inside edge of the widest 2 holes, which gives you the center to center spread. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 04:49:28 AM »
2 different ways of doing it..center to center of each bullet hole...or outside to out side subtracting 1 bullet diameter...Which is actually easier when you place the target on a flat surface.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Muscles

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:07:26 AM »
Tks Guys, then i guess i have a 0.20 and a 0.13 group, now i have to go make a few people eat their own words and show me what barn i couldn't hit with my cheap little toy gun............HANDI>>HANDI>>HANDI !!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:22:50 AM »
Great shooting muscles, most of us here know these guns can shoot but there are those even here that have recently begun to knock them because they have "found another love" so to speak. Thanks for the refreshing eye opener and congratulation on the fine shooting, and with a reasonably priced (some say cheap)  Handi rifle...Happy Easter buddy....and keep up the good work....<><....   :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »
Great shooting muscles, most of us here know these guns can shoot but there are those even here that have recently begun to knock them because they have "found another love" so to speak. Thanks for the refreshing eye opener and congratulation on the fine shooting, and with a reasonably priced (some say cheap)  Handi rifle...Happy Easter buddy....and keep up the good work....<><....   :)

???
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »
Well I guese most here know I am a carpenter. I would think that this relates for the simple fact that if you hook a stud, floor joist, or rafter witch are all 1 1/2 inches wide and mark another mark at 16 inches and set ahead. You have 16 inch centers.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline cjg_beef

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:37 AM »
Why don't you shoot 5 shot groups?  Three shots don't really mean anything because your 4th and 5th will eliminate the "luck" factor.

Offline borg1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
i measure outside to outside and subtract a caliber for a five shot group.  that essentially gives a center to center measurement...

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 06:15:24 AM »
tomme boy what cal. and what rifle were you shooting. was it a standard are custom barrel
never to much gun

Offline tcshooter52

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
Do a 5 shot center to center measure, can't go wrong. Most of the time the rifle will shoot better than the rifleman.

John

Offline Scootter

• Scootters Family & Stuff 2
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
Why don't you shoot 5 shot groups?  Three shots don't really mean anything because your 4th and 5th will eliminate the "luck" factor.

I think it was Col. Cooper who was once asked "What's the smallest group you can shoot?" He then shot the target once. It was a one shot, one hole grouping and you won't get any smaller than that.     8)

I shoot three shot groups. I know alot of guys who do. You're not in a compitition, there are no rules. Most of the guys I know who shoot five shot groups call their flyers. This consists of saying "I'm not sure about that one" or some such thing after the shot. Then if it's good they forget about it. If it's a flyer then they already "Called" it, so it doesn't count against the group size. I've never thought it means much.

There are so many variables when you are shooting that I really don't believe 5 proves any more than 2. What you are truely looking at is the avarage size of the total # of groups you've fired over a period of time. Anyone can get a "One ragged hole" group once and a while. If you do it consistantly over time then you really have something.

JMNSHO,
Scootter
When Injustice becomes law Rebelion becomes duty

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
Great shooting. Looks like you have a winner there. I think you have eliminated the luck factor.  ;)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.