Author Topic: anybody have the RCBS hand primer?  (Read 602 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
anybody have the RCBS hand primer?
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
I busted the handle of my Lee Auto Prime a while back. Only lasted twenty years.   I blame it on those hard to seat CCI #34 primers that I unwittingly ended up with 5k of but thats another story...
since then I have been priming on the press. Not my favorite, but it gets the job done.  The up stroke is awkward and I'm always thinking I'm gonna poke my eye out on that tube...

so I was looking at the RCBS hand primer, a little expensive but looks like it will hold up.  I may be confused I hope this is not the one that had to have the primers in strips like a kids capgun. 

For some reason I don't hear too much about these things, do  a lot of people have em?  IF you do please tell how you like it. 

thanks
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: anybody have the RCBS hand primer?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »
I have the one that uses the tray and the universal shell holder.  It'll never wear out.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »
 I have the somewhat older style of RCBS primer, you change the shell holder for each case. You also set up for large or small with the 'ram'. If I was looking today I'd check out that 'universal' priming set-up. I am completely content with mine though, & changing it around only takes a short time. Of course with any priming, it's key to have the primer pocket O.K.'ed to accept the new primer.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:40:18 AM »
I have the forerunner to the Universal Hand Priming Tool by RCBS, which is every bit as stout and will never wear out.  Mine may be a bit slower without the tray and universal case holder, but I can feel the primer seating in the pocket and know I have achieved a solid and consistent insertion.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
I have had one for several years. It's old enough that it uses individual shell holders. It has been a very good piece of equipment just like the rest of my RCBS stuff. The universal shellholder would be nice.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
I have one of the older RCBS hand priming tools and a couple of the Lee's. One works as well as the other. Seems like I get a little more "feel" using the Lee. Don't need one, but I'd like to have the newer RCBS with the universal shell holder and the square primer tray.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »
I have the Universal and absolutely enjoy using it. I just wish I had two of them so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth from small and large primers.  When the time is right and I have the expendable funds, I will get another RCBS Universal.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
Just as an aside, Lee just released the new Autoprime XR which adds some neat features if you are interested in looking.  8)

http://www.factorysales.com/

It removes the brand restriction among other things. 8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »
I like the square primer tray on the new Lee, now if they would add a universal shell holder as well--------. Never worried about primer brand restrictions, they have worked well with all primers.

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:00:21 AM »
I have had one for several years. It's old enough that it uses individual shell holders. It has been a very good piece of equipment just like the rest of my RCBS stuff. The universal shellholder would be nice.

Same here. I'm thinkin' had it been an RCBS hand primer you broke the handle on, they woulda replaced it for free.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
Dinny said:

I have the Universal and absolutely enjoy using it. I just wish I had two of them so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth from small and large primers.  When the time is right and I have the expendable funds, I will get another RCBS Universal.

+1

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »
What buck460XVT, 1sourdough,  and oldandslow said. Wouldn't mind having a RCBS universal.