Author Topic: Jag & rod  (Read 596 times)

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Jag & rod
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
It was a great day to punch paper here in Indiana. Not quite 80 degrees sunny and slight breeze. Sneaked out of the office early to get setup around 5:00. Half an hour into it the range went cold to allow targets to be replaced, added etc. Decided to take the moment to swab. Son of a gun if the jag didn't snap off the end of my rod at the threads. I spent the next 15 minutes getting the jag out of the barrel and the evening was done. Heck, that thing had been on so tight, I finally decided the jag and rod were all one piece. In examining the threads, they were already deteriorating. I think the jag had worked itself loose and when I jammed it down the barrel it snapped about half way into the threads. This rod and jag have less than 100 loads at the range. Is it normal to corrode this fast? Would there be any problem using a loktite type of product on the jag to keep from backing itself out?

When I got home I ordered a super rod from Cains Outdoors and a spin jag someone had recommended. I knew it would be a matter of time but I didn't expect it to be this soon. Oh well.....live and learn.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Jag & rod
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »

Was this the factory rod? If so...give Mark a e-mail and explain it to him...See what he recommends doing about it..  mark@cva.com...Don't forget to put GraybeardOutdoors in the subject line

I picked up a Knight 1 pc bench rod with the built in swivel on the T handle for mine...I bent my rod on my only time out from not swabbing between shots... :-[

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:40:17 AM »
MAC, I was trying to remember who posted about the knight rod. I think you said you found it in 30"+ in length. Midsouth shows them at 26 or 28" length. I have ordered the super range/ram rod from Cain's Outdoors; I'll use it for range only. Its graphite and guaranteed against breaking. I am looking for another rod strictly for field use.

I am not going to bother CVA about this nor do I really want another one of their rods. I ran across a jag that spins. Supposed to take some of the torque away from jamming those loads down on a fouled barrel. Looking forward to seeing this gizmo and I'll keep everyone posted on how I like it.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:37:27 AM »
Try http://www.rmcsports.com get a solid brass or alum. rod.