Author Topic: Potential problem?  (Read 648 times)

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Potential problem?
« on: May 25, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »
As previously posted in another thread, I spent some time at the range last night. I had probably shot 7 or 8 rounds when I pulled back on the hammer and it would not lock in position. I lowered it and tried several times and it would not lock. I broke the action and it would lock. I did this for several minutes and finally the hammer locked in postion. I finished another 7-8 rounds and called it an evening.

Is this something that happens on occasion? Is this a nuance of muzzleloading or is this something I need to get looked at? I do not know the inter workings of a firearm and didn't know if dust, powder etc can get in there and cause a glitch.  I must say, I was concerned the rest of the evening if it was going to stay locked while loaded.

By the way, I was shooting a standard CVA Optima.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: Potential problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
My Optima Elite will not cock if the action is not fully closed. I found this out while necksizing some brass without lubing the neck,and it streched the neck out were the action would not close fully. Hope this helps.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Potential problem?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:26:44 PM »
ditchdigger, I was surprised the optima cocked with the action broken. At first, I thought maybe it wasn't closing all the way; maybe getting hung up on a primer. Hopefully, it was a one time thing. The way they have the safety bar (I assume the elite is the same) the safety would catch the firing pin should it not hold.