Author Topic: how high scope rings  (Read 511 times)

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
how high scope rings
« on: May 03, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
just ordered a bushnell 3x9x50 scope for my 223 ultra,how high should the rings be?

bighemidaddy
 :-\

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: how high scope rings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:40:01 PM »
High most likely if it's a Banner, it has a pretty good size power ring and ocular bell. If you remove a little off the hammer, you can use mediums. See low Profile Hammer modification in the FAQs. The 3-9x50 Banner has the same power ring and ocular bell as the 1½-4½x32 Banner in the pic below, if you can move the scope back a little, you might be able to get away without modifying the hammer.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 300winny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »
Hi, I use the leupold rifleman high rings on my ultra varmint and i have a 6-18x50 on that and it gives me about a 1/4 of an in between the occular lense and the hammer and about the same distance between the the objective lense and the barrel and they dont really look that high and i think they were only 17.00 at my local gunstore. heres 2 pics to give you an idea.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/winny300/100_0603.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/winny300/100_0604.jpg

Offline bighemidaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:53:43 PM »
thanks i think ill get a set of each high and med. rings i can always use them.

bighemidaddy

p.s. i ordered the same laser boresighter you have from cabelas

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
Sounds like ya got all your ducks in a row!!

Offline bighemidaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »
quick i try to do my best.

bighemidaddy  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 06:53:44 AM »
I had to go with Ex-high rings on my Bushnell scopes, to get the clearance for the hammer.  But then I'm a big guy and have to move the scope farther forward than some folks.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:56:49 AM »
...the same power ring and ocular bell as the 1½-4½x32 Banner in the pic below, if you can move the scope back a little, you might be able to get away without modifying the hammer.
Tim

Tim,
I ran into this problem last night as I tried to install a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 on my .22WMR Ultra.  I only had Weaver medium height rings*, and the power ring absolutely would not give me clearance.  BUT, I have a 1.75-4.5 Banner sitting on my desk, so I tried to put that on. Still no joy!  The only thing I had available that fit was a Barska 2-7x32; the hammer fit nicely right between the power ring and the ocular bell.  I hope to get out to the range today, and see how it works.
Don

*later found a set of high Millet rings in my stash, but by then I'd already done the install, so I figured I'd try it out as is.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »
Yes, a lot of my scopes are mounted so the hammer swing is between the power ring and ocular bell, that's a nice way to get away without making hammer mods or using higher rings, doesn't always work out tho!! :-\

A good example of that is the scope pic below, a 6.5-20x50 WTC18 mounted in medium rings, a hammer extension is required, but it works. ;)

Of course, a dremel makes quick work on the hammer spur tip if you want to make it work!! ;D

Tim

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 02:49:49 AM »
Don't bother with the medium rings - it will not clear.  High or x-high. The comb on the ultra will work fine with higher rings unless you have an unusual face shape.