Author Topic: ghost ring sight for pardner pump  (Read 3536 times)

Offline hillbilly jake

• Trade Count: (0)
ghost ring sight for pardner pump
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:33:13 AM »
i recently purchased a 1871  pardner protector.  it has a single bead on the front and the receiver is drilled and tapped in 3 different places.  my question is  has anybody put a ghost ring style sight on this gun? if so where can i get them?  thanks much

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ghost ring sight for pardner pump
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:11:09 AM »
The receiver is D&Td for the standard H&R/Weaver base, you can get a Williams WGRS sight from H&R for $18 and shipping, and a ghost ring aperture from Williams or Midway for it, the sight mounts in the two rear holes. You can also just use the WGRS without an aperture, the aperture carrier works just like a ghost ring. See Peep and Firesights in the FAQs and Help sticky in the Centerfire forum.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hillbilly jake

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
what will i need to do for the front sight?  will the gold bead work with the ghost ring?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
The bead may work, but I would prefer a Firesight, depending on where the bead is, I'd either remove it, then drill and tap it for a Williams Firesight. You could also put and additional 6-48 threaded hole in the rib so you could switch back and forth. ;) There are also clamp on front sights that fit on the rib.

You can see the sights on their web site or download their catalog at the link below.

Tim

http://williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037520227889a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=40&Ntt=fiber+optic+sight&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=fiber+optic+sight&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031492227377a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=60&noImage=0&Ntt=fiber+optic+sight&Ntk=Products&QueryText=fiber+optic+sight&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Offline hillbilly jake

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »
i don't have a rib on my gun. just a single gold bead.  this is the part that confused me. (sorry i did not explain better).  i think that i could figure out the mounting of the sight on the receiver but it is the single gold bead and the lack of rib that is posing my problem on the front.  i would love to have a ghost ring and a fire sight but i am unsure on how to do the front sights.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:58:29 PM »
Hmmm, the current Pardner pump has a rib. Williams has sights for plain barrels too, but they would required drilling and tapping I think. The shotgun shorty ramp would be the way to go.  I've used epoxy on shotgun barrels too, just be sure to clean the barrel down to plain metal under the sight. A gunsmith should be able to help ya out with the D&Ting, usually $25-$40.

Tim

Offline hillbilly jake

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
i bought this gun in 01/07 at dicks sporting goods for $150.  thought it might be a good beater/pepper spray alternative.  it has a synthetic stock and 18.5" barrel. bought it new so i don't know if this was a closeout deal or what.  anyway, thanks for the advice.  i may just buy the fire sight front/ ghost ring set up and try a gun smith to get it put on there.  thanks again

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:11:50 PM »
Quick,

He has the Pardner Pump Protector, no rib, just a bead.

HJ,

The Williams WGRS will work, but you will need a fairly tall front sight to level things back out. You could call Williams, one of their Smiths should be able to help you figure something out.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline hillbilly jake

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:51 AM »
thanks busta.  both for the picture and the info

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 05:18:56 AM »
Thanks Busta, missed that!

Jake, if you download the Williams catalog, on page 18, they have a sight height calculator that should help you figure out what height front sight you need. ;)

Tim

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
I have a plain jane 12ga barrel on my Topper.  I put one of these on for the front sight and it has really helped me.  I do not have a rear sight.  I am thinking of epoxying a rear sight on for deer season this year.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0009235&navCount=10&parentId=cat20795&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=search-cat20795_TGP-cat20795-cat20795-cat20795-cat20795-cat20795-cat20795&parentType=index&indexId=cat20795&rid=

"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline hillbilly jake

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »
i dont think that style would give me enough height to utilize the ghost ring.  the only reason i am so eminent ont using the ghost ring is because my dad has one he took off his guide gun or i would go this route.  but i think i need more height on the front to match the rear.  there is a local machinist close that may be able to alter my barrel to accept a different front sight.  i think this is the route i am going o try and take.