Author Topic: sightron or bushnell sportsman rimfire?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
sightron or bushnell sportsman rimfire?
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:36:55 AM »
I have some birthday money.  I am looking at the Sightron 3-9x32 rimfire or the Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x32 with AO.  Does anyone have any experience with either one?  I would prefer having AO for target shooting, but I have no experience with rimfire shooting.  This would be on a cheap 22 being used for the occassional varmint and squirrel.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Re: sightron or bushnell sportsman rimfire?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:05 AM »
I like the Sightron better than the Bushnell Sportsman.  In my opinion, just a better quality scope.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:30:23 AM »
Out of the two, get the Sightron.

However, you should take a serious look at the Clearidge RM 3x-9x-32.  Although I haven't personally seen this scope, it appears to have very high quality optics and ideal features for a rimfire, including an AO.  Although this scope can be used for big game, given that it has an AO, you can easily use it for a rimfire. 

On my CZ 452 American in .22LR, I ordered a similar scope from Weaver from Jon at the opticzone.  It's a great scope.  However, next rimfire rifle I get, I am going to definately get the clearidge RM scope.  I was going to buy it for my .22, but back then, it wasn't yet available.

Zachary

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I didn't think about the Weaver.  I have a 5-15 Bushnell Legend that I like but it is too big and would sit too high for close range shooting (in my thinking anyway).  The Weaver's size looks good. 

I am inching up in price though.  It has gone from $40 for rings for the Legend, to $65 for the Bushnell Sportsman (including rings), to $80 for the Sightron, to a possible $129 for the Weaver.

Jon,
I don't see this Sightron that Midway is selling on your website.  Is it some kind of closeout deal?  The Clearidge has some awesome features, but $200 plus is too much.  I can't justify that for using in the backyard. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
If you're gonna go to $129, check out the Mueller APV for $115 shipped, it's got all the features of the old Simmons ATV if you're familiar with it, plus features that lack on the ATV. Lots of excellent reviews at RFC if you want to check em out. ;)

Tim

http://muelleroptics.com/products/lists/rimfire-scopes.html

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »
I have a pristine, dead reliable ATV that is on a 223 Savage right now.  It is too big, in my opinion, for what I want here.  The Legend and the ATV are both 52mm or so in OD.  This means high Burris Sig rings.  I don't want to gain POI/POA errors in place of avoiding the parallax errors.  The ATV, APV, and Legend are all too high (I think).

Sightron rimfire:
supposedly good scope
fixed 50 yard parallax setting
32mm objective

Bushnell airgun/rimfire
questionable lens quality
AO
32mm objective
target turrets

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:25:31 PM »
The Weaver RV-7 is a nice little scope, I have one on my 17M2 Sportster, it replaced an ATV that I thought was a bit too big too. It's made in Japan, has great glass, but is more expensive than the Bushy.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2531

http://weaveroptics.com/pg11/pg11.html

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
Frankly I might seem like I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but I don't want to spend a LOT of money but I don't want to buy anymore crummy scopes either.  The Bushnell Sportsman line is a.........."budget" line.  I am okay with the Banner and Trophy lenses, but they are nothing to get excited about.  They are perfectly functional, but nothing more.  The Simmons WTC at Cabelas is "underpriced", but the parallax is wrong too. 

The Weaver is more than I wanted to spend, but might be a better choice.  The Sightron is at the same price point supposedly, $130.  I don't know ANYONE with a Sightron scope though.  For $80 at Midway it looks like a bargain......but there Aint No Free Lunch either. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
I've got a Sightron S1 3-9x40, it compares poorly to the similarly priced Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 which I have also. If the 3-9x rimfire S1 isn't any better than the big game version, I'd stick with the Weaver for the same money.

Maybe Jon will comment on the Simmons 22Mag, they used to get great reviews at RFC, but I don't know how good the current crop is.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4173

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:07:19 PM »
I could have sworn that there was a discussion at RFC about the new 22 Mags not being the same quality as the old ones.  In effect that the new 22 Mag was basically the old Pro Hunter or something to that effect.  I cannot find the thread now, though.  I am not familiar with those Simmons lines.  For $57 then it is probably in the same class as the $65 Bushnell.  There is no real hurry to make a decision. 

I will keep reading.  I do hope that Jon chimes in.  This is only a $105 Savage Mk 2 II that we are talking about.  $130 would be the absolute max that I would spend.  The Nikon 4x does look really good by the way, but I would trade that clarity for the features of Sportsman (if the Sportsman is reasonably reliable).

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »
I can only tell you that I have 3 Sightron scopes...and I WILL  buy more if I need glass....I have Nikon, Leupold,Burris ,Weaver, Simmons and even a Bushnell....I find the Sightron II s to be equal to or BETTER than the rest of my glass...

Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
SIIs are another subject entirely, and a different price line too!!

Tim

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »
Geeze...I thought "value" was the key....I just bought three Sightron 3-12x42 AO SSIIs....for $370. to my door. I guess I thought anyone could do the same....they are old stock that I bought from a local gun shop....

Offline skamaniac

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:33:32 AM »
You guys should really check out the Pentax Gameseekers.  Talk about a real value.  I put a 4-16x50 on my 22-250.  Great glass, steel on steel adjustments, Precision Plex fine crosshair drop compensating reticle.  MSRP is under $150 depending on the magnification.  I paid $125 shipped.  I like it so well i'm going to buy another for my 10/22 22lr conversion project.  I'm either going with the 1.75-6x40 or the 3-9x40 for under $100 shipped.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »
Yeah, SII's are out of the way out of my price range too.  Again with the 3-9x42 the objective is as big as the ATV and the 5-15AO Legend. 

I think that I am going with the Weaver that Quick recomended.  I have at least a week to decide.

My "all around backup scope" is a Japanese made Trophy from back in the day.  Its 3-9x32 and is a great fit, but again the parallax issue. 

Yeah, I think the Weaver.  I just dig those target turrets on the Sportsman.  The Weavers better all around.  You just can't have it all. 

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:43 AM »
After all the fine suggestions from everyone, it seems your leaning toward the Sportsman and are looking for some justification. 

I have several Sportsmans and have never had a problem with either.  I actually believe that some of the latest examples I have purchased have lens's that are more clear than a couple Banners I have.  I find them to be very good scopes and offered for small money.  The Sportsmans I have are on an Ultra Comp .30-06, Handi .223 (3X9X40), Ultra .22 mag (3X9X32), a sporterized .303 Enfield (3X9X40) and a couple rimfires (3X9X32's).  The Ultra Comp '06 sports the Wal-mart Sportsman 4X12X40 w/Adj. Obj. lens, which is the only Sportsman I have purchased outside of a gun shop.  I have not had any problems with the adjustments or any scope holding a zero. 

My eyes are not what they used to be, but I truly believe the Sportsmans are much more clear than one would expect on a $60 scope.