Author Topic: Release Agent - Drop Out Spray  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Gun142

• Trade Count: (0)
Release Agent - Drop Out Spray
« on: December 04, 2002, 05:19:30 AM »
I should have asked this before I ordered a can of 'Frankford Arsenal Drop Out' from Midway.

It contains graphite.
What are the pros, cons, and proper use of this stuff?
Thanks for any advice offered.

Product - http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/464767

Offline Aladin

Re: Release Agent - Drop Out Spray
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 05:57:20 AM »
Quote from: Gun142
I should have asked this before I ordered a can of 'Frankford Arsenal Drop Out' from Midway.

It contains graphite.
What are the pros, cons, and proper use of this stuff?
Thanks for any advice offered.

Product - http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/464767

I don't care for aersols cause you coat the whole shooten match.  No coaten is needed in the vent lines to be sure. Light coat in the cavities- goodly coaten on the block top and sprue plate will do ya.
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

the spray helped me, why???
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 01:09:02 PM »
I just got my two new 45LC molds, the 200 gr 6-cavity from Lee and the 250 gr 4-cavity from Lyman.  I cleaned each with alcohol and wiped out all of the cavities.  Didn't want any oil in there.  Molding WW at 650--700 degrees.
I started and kept casting wrinkled bullets in both molds.  The molds had been preheated. Did this for about 30 minutes.  Finally, sprayed the mold release in and no more wrinkled bullets.  As the Lee was warm the mold release did dry to a grainy texture but other than that wonderful bullets.  After I was through I sprayed it with alcohol from an engine cleaner attachment that draws fluid in as you spray using an air compressor.  The mold release came right off and next day I sprayed again when cold and got a smooth coat.  
All this to say any one have an idea why the bullets stopped wrinkling?
thanks
walt
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Aladin

Re: the spray helped me, why???
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 01:46:08 PM »
Walt I've experienced exactly the same. Could be that thin coating in some way acts as a thin insulator-- or changes the way the air currents vent.
Aladin

Offline hubbard

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 03:27:10 PM »
i remember reading a post on this forum a year or so ago about a wrinkling problem that wouldn't go away. one of the replies to this post was that the pores of the metal held oil that wouldn't wash off , but had to be burned out over  a period of time by just continuing to cast bullets. has anyone noticed if the wrinkling starts again if the mold release is washed off. could the release  be sealing the oil in ?

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

Re: hubbard's comments
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 01:25:27 PM »
I can't remember having problems after sparying the mold release on the molds and casting.  Over time the spray will go away (burned off?) but no wrinkling even then.  I think the idea of oil in the pores of the metal make sense.  Don't know just know if I spray it works.
Walt
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Gun142

Thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 12:54:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for info about the spray.

Looks like it's good stuff if used sparingly and kept out of the vent lines.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2002, 06:17:39 AM »
Hubbard, that may have been me discussing one of the two moulds I was testing back at that time. That mould never stopped casting wrinkled bullets from that one cavity. I tried everything I know to try. I used hot soapy water, alcohol, acetone, B-C Gun Scrubber, Brake Cleaner even a mild abrasive paste. I smoked the mould and also used the Midway Drop Out.

NOTHING and I do mean nothing fixed it. That one cavity in a two cavity mould just ain't gonna work. I no longer own it. I gave it away.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Aladin

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 08:48:10 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Hubbard, that may have been me discussing one of the two moulds I was testing back at that time. That mould never stopped casting wrinkled bullets from that one cavity. I tried everything I know to try. I used hot soapy water, alcohol, acetone, B-C Gun Scrubber, Brake Cleaner even a mild abrasive paste. I smoked the mould and also used the Midway Drop Out.

NOTHING and I do mean nothing fixed it. That one cavity in a two cavity mould just ain't gonna work. I no longer own it. I gave it away.

GB

GB if that happens again-- get that mold clean and use some blueing agent that is used for quick fixes. Let it dry, then bake that set of blocks in the oven for a couple hrs at 450 ish....
Aladin