Author Topic: 20" 243 win accuaracy problem solved  (Read 625 times)

Offline jbirdwell

• Trade Count: (0)
20" 243 win accuaracy problem solved
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:25:41 PM »
Hay folks. I just need to inform yall of some progress in reloading a 20" barreled 243. I had worked a load for 65 grain veemax with 42 grain of imr 4831. THis is less than min. or starting loads in my reloading mannuals that I have. slowing down the velosity of the bullet , did infact increase my accuracy (3 shot group of 1/2 ") . Well I started Thinking .............. slow down say a 100grain seirra pro hunter or a 100 grain hornady interlock and see what happens . Well Idid . 1rst three shots were same hole shots . next two strung upwards opening up to about 1 1/2 ". I know the last two were heat related , Ilet the barrel cool for about 30 min. and again put 3 shots inthe same hole.  I could not beleave it .  I could bearly make out the clover leaf but it was there. ( 100 yard range) .  Heres what i used . RL 19 38.5 grains and seirra 100grain pro hunter. OAL 2.707. cci large rifle primers . The hornady did not group aswell about  1" but thats not too bad considering they were over 2 1/2 " with hotter loads . By the way the 65 grains veemaxs shoot very close the same spot on the paper as the 100 gn seirras. IM HAPPY.   
  good shooting                                Jim

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: 20" 243 win accuaracy problem solved
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
That is great!!!!!! I have noticed myself that when the barrel warms up the shots do tend to climb. ;) Good luck and keep shooting. ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: 20" 243 win accuaracy problem solved
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 04:33:02 AM »
I agree, good report. It's nice to hear of more success with the 20" 243's.
In an ideal world max velocity would be the most accurate loads, but sometimes you just have to slow things down a bit to see what a rifle can do. And sometimes people that start with a minimum load will stick with it as they find it might just be the most accurate.

-Aaron