Author Topic: Best Self defense load for a 380  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Chesapeake Troller

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Self defense load for a 380
« on: December 12, 2003, 11:47:38 AM »
Looking for advice.

Thanks

Troller

Offline jgalar

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 12:29:19 PM »
I use hydrashocks. You really don't know what is best unless you shoot a few people with the different rounds available :grin: Any of the defensive rounds that functions properly in your gun would be a good choice.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
380s
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 09:11:42 AM »
Chesapeake:  380s don't move fast enough to get good expansion and penetration, which is what you need.  Hollow-points in that caliber may expand early, or not at all.  I have always used plain ball ammo; it penetrates.  Save the $ you would spend on expensive hps and buy more ball, then practice with it.

Your 380 is not a 1 shot fight stopper and may not stop a determined, drugged or drunken felon from wailin' on ya with just one shot.  Lots of times you read that it does but more often you read that they were picked up by the local police after going to the hospital for treatment.  

I have always advocated the use of ball ammo for 380s and 32s.  It may not knock'em over but they will leak out pretty quick.  The other thing you have to contend with is your skill level, as with any caliber, and for that you must practice.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 12:13:38 PM »
Yeah, have to go along with Mikey on ammo for the .380/.32. I have used some expanding ammo that tested out pretty impressively, and some that didn't. Guess I can't make up my mind, but I alternate XTPs and ball in these small rounds.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 02:58:14 AM »
How about the Cor-Bon .380s? The stopping power gurus seem to think highly of them.
gino :D

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 04:50:06 AM »
Problem with the small bullet, low velocity rounds is, they may not penetrate heavy clothing, bone, or heavy muscle. If you add an expanding bullet to the equation, you further reduce the chances of penetration. (If it expands at all.) In order to be effective the round has to penetrate to the vitals, it the solid form, the odds are greater that you will get this penetration. I carry these small rounds when dress and circumstance dictates a small gun for deep concealment, but I am aware of their limitations.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 04:53:27 AM »
I agree with savage/and mikey however I do alternate the rounds in the magazine from time to time one sokid then a hollow point etc, :D   JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
380s
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 04:54:53 AM »
gino:  again, what you will get with an expanding bullet is the possibility that either it will not expand or possibly expand before it can impart the necessary debilitating effect.  If it doesn't expand it will act like ball ammo.  If it expands prematurely it won't penetrate sufficiently.  I have shot some of the cor-bon ammo but it isn't anything that you can't brew up yourself from some of the current loading manuals.  Please don't forget that cor-bon, as a commercial ammunition manufacturer, must contend with liability issues and as such must keep their loads to within acceptable pressure limitations.  So, their boolets can only go just so fast and depending on time of year, amount of clothing, etc, may not get you the end result you need.  

Ball ammo however will always act like ball ammo.  I would think that about the only way to really improve the consistent performance of something like the 380 would be to use a flatnosed slug (as long as it feeds properly in your gun).  There used to be a 90-95 gn swc type bullet for the 38 spl that could be sized to shoot through the 9mm bbl of the 380 and you could move that to the same velocity you could move any 380 load - only question is its feeding reliability.  Once you have that question answered you will/would know what to carry in the gun.

But, I'm opinionated.  There are times when I think I may not always be right but I'm never in doubt about it.  So, I will stand for a critique, opinion bashing or even widespread criticism.  But, I hth.  Mikey.

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 04:07:45 AM »
Mikey,
    Point taken on the expansion/penetration issue. I was thumbing thru my National Bullet Co. catalog & saw a 100 gr. TC bullet for the .380 that looks like it might have possibilities. I don't shoot enough .380 to justify reloading for it though. Maybe after the holidays!   :-)
gino