Author Topic: Has anyone changed out the rear sight?  (Read 370 times)

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Has anyone changed out the rear sight?
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »
I am working on getting my .500 Handi to shoot as a 50-75 yard rifle (I download it). I don't want to go to optical sights on it, but I am less than happy with the plastic rear sight. Midway has nothing that looks good to me. Brownells has a Marble that looks like it might work. Any feedback?

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Has anyone changed out the rear sight?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »
See the Peep and Firesight link in the FAQs. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:28:42 AM »
I have the peep and firesight set up on mine right now. .... a wgrs rear and firesight front.   It shoots minute of armadillo to 75 with my bad eyes..
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
There is a .500 S&W Handi on the rack at the local Gander Mtn. I was surprised to see the cheap-looking plastic sights you describe -- it seems like NEF buys sights from a lot of different suppliers. Both of my open-sighted NEFs have good Williams rear sights. One came with a good Firesight-type front, the other (the .357 barrel) came with a cheap metal blade, which I replaced with a Marble's Uni-ramp. I have replaced the muzzleloader's rear with a Williams WGRS aperture sight. That's a very good option for quick aiming, particularly if your eyesight is no longer what it was, as is the case with me.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams