Author Topic: Lyman/Ideal mould question  (Read 497 times)

Offline Scotsman1886

• Trade Count: (2)
Lyman/Ideal mould question
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:28:19 AM »
I know very little about casting bullets. I ended up with a few old Lyman/Ideal moulds in a deal. In the process of selling one for 357 a question of "square lube grooves" came up. I know this particular mould isn't in the lyman catalog anymore so are the "square non square" grooves an issue? Was it an improvement when they switched? I would like to know for my own sake

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Lyman/Ideal mould question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:57 AM »
Some folks seem to care, personally I don't. It's just never seemed to be an issue with any bullet I've cast in their moulds. I don't even bother checking to see which it is. If I like the overall shape/design of the bullet I buy the mould, if I don't like it I don't. I personally think folks are kidding mostly themselves regarding which type lube groove it has.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:08 PM »
Well,
Theoretically the square bottom groove is evenly compressed under the propellant gas pressure and squeezes the lube against the barrel. I guess. I have two Lyman #429421 moulds. One has square and the other is round. Both shoot equally well.
The square groove would have more surface area and lube would not be as prone to fall out during handling. That would be an advantage over the round groove.
Be sure to find a first or second edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. They are great resources for identifying obsolete mould numbers.

Bitterroot

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
Is the Lyman  a good quality mold to buy for a beginning or experienced castor?

Thanks,

Crabo

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:37:53 PM »
Lyman and the old Ideal bullet mold company are the great-great-grandaddy of bullet mold makers.  The boast well over 130 years of experience in the manufacturing of bullet casting equipment.  YES, it is a good brand of bullet mold for both beginner and experts.
John Traveler