Author Topic: Little things  (Read 345 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Little things
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
This isn't from a Handi, but the principal applies.  Shot this 100 yard target today with my Savage 10 in 17 Remington.  The group on the right was with my cheek resting on the stock, the one on the left was with it only barely touching the stock.  Once you get good groups it is the tiny things that make a big difference, in this case it moves the impact an inch at 100 yards.  Difference in a half inch group and a 1 1/2 inch group can be how you hold you tounge, and the Handies are even more fickel than a small bore Savage.   ;)  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: Little things
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »
Wow! Impressive observations.  Ya here the "cheek weld" topic mentioned a lot, but a perfect example of application.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Little things
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:23 AM »
Being consistent is very important no matter what you are shooting ;) I find that most of my fliers are caused by me. I try to free recoil when I can to avoid these problems. It does not simulate field conditions, but gives a more reliable reading of the loads being developed. After I have developed a good load, then I grab the stock and fore end to simulate field conditions as close as possible. I then re zero and see what I can do ;D On good days I can do very well, on bad days; well there are bad days :(
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.