Author Topic: Scope mounting  (Read 334 times)

Offline 6Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scope mounting
« on: May 21, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »
I have a synthetic Handi-rifle .223 that I've had for 3 years or so and ever since I've had it I've had high scope rings on it to keep the scope off the hammer.
 It made the scope high above the barrel and I have never liked it. It is an accurate rifle with this set up and shoots fine but I don't like the looks of it high off the barrel and it's not quite as " Handi '' if you know what I mean. It's not balanced well.
 So, after much thought.....not really but anyway, I had some low burris scope mounts I had used on another project long ago shelved and got to thinking how to use them for my Handi.
 To make a long story unbearable, I got my scope on with these mounts and the front bell of the scope is about .25'' or maybe a hair less off the barrel. Nice and low like I've always wanted but, I did have to cut the hammer down to pass by the rear bell when cocking. It feels better now when shooting than it ever has. When I mount it to the shoulder, my eye goes fast and natural to the scope.
 I thought I'd share my experience. I like my Handi-rifle more than I ever have now.
I was wondering what experience others have had with mounting scopes to these rifles.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
Been there, done that, in several different ways, please read the low profile hammer mods in the FAQs and Help sticky, lots of other stuff in there for you to learn, too. ;)

The latest trick was to use an old style pre-transfer bar hammer. ;D

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=86991

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,117435.msg1098382159.html#msg1098382159
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 6Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks Quick. Using another hammer may be something I try on a different Handi. I Used a dremel tool to grind my hammer down enough to work. It didn't take alot to make it work. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try something.
 I'm going to have to get on that FAQ's/basic's sticky and study it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
Reading the FAQs is a mandatory prerequisite prior to posting questions here, don't ya know!! ;D ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain