Author Topic: Ghost Ring + Scope on 1895 guide.....possible?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline sss1895

• Trade Count: (0)
Ghost Ring + Scope on 1895 guide.....possible?
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:14:21 AM »
Do you think I can fit a Leupold (1,5-5x20) on QD rings over either  XS or Brockman’s ghost ring sights? I mean on top of it, cause I don’t like the scout mount style.  I’m not sure but I think both XS and Brockman’s require just one hole (there are 4 on top of my guide gun) so the problem is if there’s room enough above the ghost ring to fit the scope. Has anybody ever done that? Thanks

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Ghost Ring + Scope on 1895 guide.....possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:21:58 AM »
I don't know if it will fit, but if it does you wind up with a scope that is to high for most people to get a good, repeatable cheek weld on the stock, so most distances you will have paralax problems.  Further, even the best QD rings have to be re-zeroed after removal and replacement of the scope.  I don't think there is any way to have the best of both worlds.  It is the same with the peek through rings.  If the cheekpiece is tall enough to fit right with the scope you can't see the iron sights.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:42:52 AM »
Keith L, you wrote,
"Further, even the best QD rings have to be re-zeroed after removal and replacement of the scope."

From my experience using these type setups on 4 different guns I have come to the conclusion that they work really well.
I have two muzzleloaders that have weaver type bases and quick detatch rings. Every time I clean these guns the scopes come off. With one I shot a Grouses head off at about 25 yards and with the other smokepole I shot a turkey's head off at about 60 yards. These plus several deer have been taken without re-zeroing the scopes after reattaching.

I really like the steel Warne Maxima bases and rings.

Good Shooting!
Slufoot

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:57:28 AM »
Your luck is better than mine.  I had a 100 yard zero move two inches with the brand I tried (Leupold).  I see Leo has a type based on a weaver style base that I haven't tried. 

I don't trust them.  Your mileage apparently varies.  Good luck with that.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline sss1895

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:51:31 AM »
Thanks Gents

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
Ive got the xs scope mount & xs peep. With the scope mount I was able to mount a scope. The occular bell is 1/4 inch from the peep.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline sangdigger

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:31:02 AM »
I have the qick detach in both leopold and weaver, both of the leopold style, quick detach, also. The leopold with the detachable rings (not weaver style) would always put me back to within 1/4 of an inch. The weaver style is almost as good, but you have to be carefull to slide it in the slot, all the way to the foward position, (there is just a little play with it) I can't say about the Warne yet, but the locking lug has some slop, till it is tightened down, the leopold doesn't. I have repeatedly took these on and off to recheck the zero, with several diffrent rifles, lever and bolts, in calibers from 22 lr to 45/70 without problems. The older leopold QD weaver style had a round locking lug, that didn't fit into the sqare slot as repeatable as the new one with the square slot.
I just use the factory sight, and fold it down when the scope is on, but plan to try the folding leaf style slot from Marble, with the screw type elevation adjustment, I had a few of my rifles that I had to remove the sight elevator, even when the sight was folded to get my scope on, the mounts were so low.
I don't think too much of the scout scope deal either, most of the best deer I shot were coming out right at dark, and with the scope way out there, I can't see as good thru it at dark (scout style), like I can with my regular scopes

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 02:40:50 AM »
Yeah you lose light gathering with a scout scope. But with the xs scout scopemount I was able to mount a regular scope  (4 inch eye relief) on it
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 03:42:52 AM »
XS has a new extended rail, that has an integrated ghost ring on the back.  You can mount your scope conventionally, and if the rings are high enough, leave the rear aperature mounted, or sight in aperature and remove if the scope is too close.  Am considering it for my guide gun.  Cabelas has the rail/front/rear sight as a pkg. for $149 plus shipping.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »
I have seen a rear scope mounting block that has a pop up peep sight that pops up when you take off the scope, I dont remember where I saw it, maybe someone else will remember.
-TC-

Offline sss1895

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
Yaeah, I think you're talking about Brockman's. It's a Talley rear base with a pop up ghost ring. It looks great but the web site says it fits only Winch 70/Montana actions.
I could ask Brockman if it can be adapted on a guide gun.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 08:33:47 AM »
An XS Scout scope mount will do it.

Offline jengel

• The Great Outdoors Gun Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:43:44 PM »
I like this setup.

1895 GS, XS Leverscout mount, Leupold 1" QRW rings, Leupold 2.5x scout scope, XS Ghost ring sights.  Shoots into 3/8" at 100yds.

Offline Modoc ED

ED

Offline Sverre A.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
I let a gunsmith make a base for me - because the Ghost ring "occupied" some screwholes.  Now I can take off/put on a scope and a docter-sight which I use QRW on.
And POI is the same!