Author Topic: RWS 34 ACCURACY  (Read 2136 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
RWS 34 ACCURACY
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
Benchrested at a measured 25 yards,with pellets from 5-10 grains, a Leupold 4x scope, my RWS 34 (.177) shoots about two inch groups, some larger, none smaller.   My Sheridan (.177)  shoots 1" or smaller at the same distance with a pellet it likes.  I expected better of the RWS.   I've only shot it about 50 times.  Will it improve with "age".
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline SR71

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: RWS 34 ACCURACY
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:06:15 AM »
I don't know if you are new to springers, but they do not like to be benchrested in the same way you would a powder burner or even a compressed air/gas air rifle.  You may prop your left hand (assuming you are right handed) up on a bag but the rifle should rest on your open palm.  Also, make sure your contact points are very consistent.  Moving your left hand slightly up or down the forend from shot to shot will result in poor groups.  Use a light to very light hold.

At 25 yards a 34 should be able to do even better than 1/2" groups.

Either CPLs, FTS, Trophy, JSB Exact Express, or JSB Exacts, are what most of my springers like.  Don't give up until you have tried most of them.  If none of them group around 1/2" at 25 yards, you may have another issue.  At that point I would make sure you aren't suffering from parallax error, or a screwed up crown, breech seal, or main seal.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

Offline jcn59

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:17:54 AM »
Thanks, SR71, I'll give it a try.   Yes, I'm "new".   The last springer I had was a Hy-Score, 50 years ago.

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Duane

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »
Had a rws 34 in .22 was a great shooter but my benjamin 392 with a williams peep site could stilll hold its own against it so I sold the RWS and never looked back .very large weighty rifle and not much more FPS than my trusty benjamin .I use beeman Crow magnums out of my Benjamin

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
I just bought a 34 in 22 cal.  and put a cheap Bushnell scope on it.  I have been shooting by standing and resting my front arm against the corner of the barn.  At 25 yards I have been getting 5 shot plus groups that are just one big hole.  I have never measured the groups because they are good enough for me.  I have been getting these groups with RWS Superpoint and Super-H-Point pellets.

Mine shoots good enough that I just got a RWS 5G pistol.  I took it out this weekend and it shoots just as good.

Keep trying.  You might have got a lemon or you just might not have found what it likes yet.

Offline D.C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:12:01 AM »
I had a little trouble getting used to shooting the spring type guns, in my case the gun shot fine, once I learned how to deal with the  odd twitch. hand between the rest and also a tip about using heavy foam as a support helped out, but mostly it was practice that fixed my little problems. air guns are a lot of fun, Don't give up too soon, good shooting to you    D.C.

Offline jcn59

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  The GUN and I are getting along better every time we shoot!

NRA Life Member

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
My M-34P .22 will put 5 into a ragged hole from 10 yards and into a dime @ 20. Try resting your gun on a rolled sleeping bag or pillows, they will give when the gun cycles yet give a firm aiming platform. Another thing to keep in mind is the wind. Any breeze at all will open your groups big time - a pellet is not a very efficient projectile especially in profile. Also be sure to try different pellets, round nose pellets shoot way better than flat nose when the range gets to 20 yards or beyond.