Author Topic: Gonna scope the Target model  (Read 439 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Gonna scope the Target model
« on: May 27, 2007, 06:07:11 PM »
Well I'm gonna soon have the Dixie Gunworks 32 1/2" scope for my Target model.  I ALMOST bought another tang sight from Lee Shaver, but changed my mind at the last second.  My original plan was a scope and I'm sticking to it.

This is it.  The mounts, according to Lee, are not much more than left over plumbing fixtures, and I tend to agree.  This was not an issue to me since I plan on either making my own or buying better ones.  I'm getting my scope off one of the single shot forums elsewhere for much less than new, and it's a new in box scope, so I have enough left over for good mounts.

It's a 4X scope with 3" eye relief.  Should be plenty for the 38-55, but maybe not enough for 45-70.  If you were using only BP in the 45-70 it might though.

I will post pics of the process as it develops.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Gonna scope the Target model
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 06:27:09 PM »
Kewl, I'll be looking forward to that!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »
OK looking for advice now.

I sent off the funds for the scope.  It's 3/4" dia and the bases/mounts that come with it are junk.  I knew this going in, no biggie.  I'm thinking of modifying a set of rimfire rings to mount the scope in and modifying them to work like I want.

What I am thinking of is making the front ring so that it can be adjusted side to side for windage by cross drilling and threading it with a machine screw that runs through what will be a homemade base unit to hold the whole thing.  Kinda a u shaped affair with the screw running perpendicular to the barrel. (windage)

For elevation, I plan on again cross drilling the other ring and inserting a machine screw cross ways through it and making a "lug" on both sides that will protrude through vertical brackets that allow for up and down adjustments.

I'm looking for ways to build this myself, and am open to suggestions for materials for items like rear base and vertical risers.  I can weld, kinda, and braze/ solder pretty well.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:04:39 PM »
You might be able to use  these ¾" rings.

Tim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:54:02 AM »
Thanks Quick, but the rings aren't really the issue as much as bases.  My post is a little vague, but not on purpose.  I've looked at the Malcom mounts like these

but not sure if they sell separate.  I need to contact them and see.  I guess I'm looking for a simpler version, but still very adjustable.  May not be possible.  But am trying to keep costs down, but that might not be possible either.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »
Thanks Quick.

Boy the precision model is really nice, but too rich for my blood.  The one like the pic I posted might be the ticket.  Might cost me that much to make one.