Author Topic: "Marlin Safety"  (Read 1306 times)

Offline TomP

• Trade Count: (0)
"Marlin Safety"
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:53:23 AM »
A friend of mine has an old Marlin lever rifle with the words "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver.  It is a rifle with a curved butt plate and octagonal barrel.  It has the side eject with a square bolt.  It is marked 38 W. which I assume is 38-40 or 38 WCF.  Last patent date is April 2, 1889.  Is this a Model 1889?  Looks like a Model 94 but running the serial number, 424xx, says it was made in 1890.  So, what is it?  Would it be black powder only?  Also, where can I find disassembly instructions for this model?  Thanks for any help.

TomP

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: "Marlin Safety"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Sounds like quite an interesting gun.  I am sure the folks here can help with the questions.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:45:33 PM »
The words Marlin Safety on the old rifle refers to the two piece firing pin inside the bolt.
The lever had to be fully closed to raise the locking block for the bolt enough to line up the firing pins.

Offline TomP

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:09:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, Slufoot.  I found out that the rifle is probably a model 1889, a predecessor of the model 94.  I look forward to taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.

TomP

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
A friend of mine has an old Marlin lever rifle with the words "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver.  It is a rifle with a curved butt plate and octagonal barrel.  It has the side eject with a square bolt.  It is marked 38 W. which I assume is 38-40 or 38 WCF.  Last patent date is April 2, 1889.  Is this a Model 1889?  Looks like a Model 94 but running the serial number, 424xx, says it was made in 1890.  So, what is it?  Would it be black powder only?  Also, where can I find disassembly instructions for this model?  Thanks for any help.

TomP

Talk about a coincidence....  I just opened my safe and pulled on the 1889 Marlin that I bought from a friend a few years ago (just wanting to make sure it was still there after reading your post ;) ).  38 WCF, curved buttplate, long barrel - and a SN starting with 424xx.  Looks like your friend and I have brothers - SNs within 100 digits of each other  :o
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA