Author Topic: Sometimes, it's just like that...  (Read 809 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Sometimes, it's just like that...
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »
I have not seen a deer at my place since November 21st last year and I have been looking - a lot.  Saturday I discovered why the wildlife in my neighborhood has disappeared. The neighbor's daughter (late teens) and a half dozen of her boy and girl friends have constructed an ATV trail adjacent to the property line around her parent's riverine floodplain forest property, on the 20 acres parcel to the east of mine, and were racing around it laughing and squeeling. When they spotted me with rifle walking to my SE corner stand to hunt I told them I hoped they had a terrific time and to raise all the h.e.l.l. they wanted.

The way I figure it, they will stay kids for a relatively short while (year maybe two at the outside). It is hoped that they will eventually move on to other pursuits. I don't want to be the target of their next pursuit. They don't hunt or shoot so far as I can tell. Their step-father has gotten my truck and tractor unstuck a time or two. The wildlife know what is going on there. Heck, they know what is going on on my place too!

The unseasonably warm weather for January (lower 80's) is contributory. Were it 40 degrees cooler I don't believe they would be mud boggin on ATV's. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Out of say 200 times I have visited my property to work or hunt in the past 10 years I have never laid eyes on or heard a peep from their side of the forest. It's their land and they have every right to do as they please.

I mind the property lines, know which directions are safe toward which to shoot, and take pleasure in the hunting activities that come my way. This changes nothing in my pursuit of whitetailed deer. I see it as a momentary, time dependant set back. Nothing else.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Sometimes, it's just like that...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »
You are right on the money on all counts!Went through the same thing a few years ago,and you are right,they are kids for a very short time!We would all be better off to remember that.I'd be honored to have a neighbor like you!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
Good post, Land Owner. 

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:38:11 AM »
I have hunted on land that Atv riders, ride while I am hunting and still killed deer. The deer seem to get use to it after awile. Hang in there the deer will be back. No since in making enemies of your neighbors. Because anything you leave in the woods will not be safe from them.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »
Good attitude on your part. I have a different problem, my parents have a little chunk of land with a cabin on it surrounded by corn fields. Deer everywhere. Someone else with a cabin there is trashing the surrounding fields with their atv's and now the farmer thinks everyone there is a jerk. I wish I knew which group of kids was doing this. I was going to ask the farmer for permission to bow hunt his land but that's completely out of the question now.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »
Perhaps you could approach the farmer for permission to catch the kids (on film) that are doing the damage to his fields because it is also affecting you and that you will both ultimately enjoy the quiet as you are a bow hunter. 

You have then told him that you are a hunter, concerned for each of your welfare, and HAVE NOT asked for permission to hunt (at this time). 

Following permission to catch the kids and obtaining the photographic proof, take the evidence to him and then see if the conditions are ripe for asking for permission to hunt his place. 

You will have done each of you a favor, you will have had access to his land in a "sporting" endeavor (what could be more sporting than catching humans on film without being seen yourself!) and in the end done him a favor if they are in fact tearing up his place.  You will have been able to scout his lands and if, that is if you are granted permission to hunt, you are well on your way to the goal you seek.

Also, be prepared for "No".  It happens.  Don't fret.  At least it will be quieter.  Like I said, it is a momentary time dependent set back...difficult to await its passing when you are young, but in time it will pass or you will do something to affect a change.

If you get permission to film, catch the kids, or get permission to hunt come back and let us know.

Good luck to you. 

BTW:  We were target shooting at my place last Saturday morning, about 50 rounds into the morning one gun jambed (misfeed), when we were fixing the problem, a doe came to the rear end of the field in which we were shooting and started snorting at us.  Stupid deer...who would a thunk it, rifle and pistol fire is a deer attractant!

Offline .54

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:27:36 AM »

I used to ride my 4 wheelers at a nearby off road park and many times we would ride right up on deer. In fact we had to be careful not to hit them in certain parts of the park. They didn't seem to be spooked in the least....I'm sure they were used to all the noise from the 4 wheelers.
You're right, let the kids enjoy themselves as long as they're respectful of the property line. Who knows they may run a big one your direction some day.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
BTW:  We were target shooting at my place last Saturday morning, about 50 rounds into the morning one gun jambed (misfeed), when we were fixing the problem, a doe came to the rear end of the field in which we were shooting and started snorting at us.  Stupid deer...who would a thunk it, rifle and pistol fire is a deer attractant!

My brother, nephew, and I were up in the mountains outside of Boulder one afternoon blasting away with .22s, .357s, shotguns, and a .308, making all kinds of noise. Hundreds and hundreds of rounds My nephew and I turned around to get more ammo, and there was a beautiful buck about 40 yards away standing there looking at us. (He was probably thinking how bad the neighborhood was getting with such noisy riff-raff showing up all the time.) Since it wasn't hunting season (and he knew he was safe), he just glared at us for a few seconds, and then just wandered on off up the side of the mountain. Beautiful animal. Just didn't expect to see him just standing there with all that gunfire going on. Guess he saw how bad we were and wasn't worried!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM »
Critters have an uncanny knack of knowing what is and is not of danger to them and noise even gunfire in and of itself is not considered a threat. They come out on skeet ranges all the time to feed while shooting is going on and even with shot dropping all around them. I've seen them feeding while we shot many times on about every range I've spent any significant amount of time on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!