Author Topic: RUGER PESONAL PROTECTION AMMO  (Read 730 times)

Offline stodolc

• Trade Count: (0)
RUGER PESONAL PROTECTION AMMO
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
 ???
I hope someone can help me with this question,I have a P89 and a 345 Ruger. I tried Winchester 9mm 147 gr. sxt hollow points in my P89 and it jammed about every third round. Does any one have any recomendation's for me on what would be good reliable personal protection ammo for 9mm P89 and a 45acp 345.

Tokerev

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: RUGER PESONAL PROTECTION AMMO
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 06:30:31 PM »
Speer GD's run fine in my P345 as well as XTP's-Then again all mine are reloads! Yes they are my SD loads!
One shot , One Kill

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »
Some times it takes some experimenting to come up with the best feeding rounds in any particular gun. That said I would second the Gold dots. They work best in most of my auto loaders.   KN

Offline Snowman366

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:05 AM »
Ruger P-89's have a big top end on them, and you might want to try shooting +P rated 9mm ammo out of it, or something zippy like NATO grade fmj. The big Ruger P-series autos are happiest when feed normal powered 9mm ammo, and a lot of the under-loaded 147-grain sub-sonic loads don't have the recoil "oomph" to reliably cycle the slide, especially if you're moving while you shoot or somehow limp-wristing. Winchester used to put a warning on their LE ammo boxes stating that the sluggish 147-grain loads might not reliably cycle all 9mm pistols. 

Any of the "premium" jhp loads like Gold Dot, Golden Saber, HST, etc., have been engineered to pass the FBI's excellent (and nowadays industry standard) series of "barrier" tests. So they'll do about as much as can be expected from a handgun bullet. In the end though, even "premium" jhp defensive ammo isn't as important as the skill of the defensive shooter...so even if you're carrying Wal-Mart's "Winchester White Box" jhp's you'll be fine as long as you get good hits on the target. The grain-weight of various loads within a given caliber aren't nearly so important as finding a load that cycles as close to 100% reliable in your handgun as you can make it.