Author Topic: Another BC …  (Read 588 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Another BC …
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:14:09 AM »
Hey guys, you think you got “Handi-holic-itis” bad.

I was in West Virginia this last weekend to visit an Uncle-in-law at a nursing home, a great old guy, WWII man, always good to talk to him about his good ol’days. 
Passed a small gun shop on the way, on the way back I had to stop and check it out of course.  Gun shop is the type we all know, small, maybe 20’x 40’ building, dark and rustic inside, owner in the only employee.  It had the required minimum of just two guys sitting and talking with the owner.  He had maybe 10 NEW guns and everything else was used and/or on consignment. After the usual mandatory hello banter with the fellows, my eyes started to do their search of the racks of guns.  To savor the moment in a new shop my eyes go from left to right one at a time to see if I could identify each, trying not to hurry ahead just because the one currently focused on held no interest to me.  As soon as my eyes saw it, the excitement made me want pick it up, of course it was a Buffalo Classic.  But I contained myself and continued my scan of the rest, because I knew I was being watched and didn’t want to show my excitement.  I picked up one of the other rifles and pretended to check it.  Finally I stood in front of the BC and just looked at it, noticing the paper tag tied to the trigger guard, it read “45-70”, as if everybody didn’t know that.  With nervous excitement, picked it up from the rack, the familiar feel was there.  Took the paper tag and turned it over to see if there was a price.  $250 was crossed out and $225 stood out.  Could not believe it; next thought was “what is wrong with it?”  Walked over to owner and asked him if I take it outside in the sunlight.  The wood had not a mark or a scratch anywhere, the metal was the same, the bore just perfect.  Took it back inside, said “I'll take it”.  Owner was pleased, told me the man who was selling was on hard times, and anyway the rifle had too much kick for his liking.  A partial box of Remington 405 gr. soft points came with it, 16 rounds were still in it.  They told me that it only had 4 shots thru it, and he was going back to his 30-30 Winchester.  I left there a little gitty with my newest BC.

Here is the “Handi-holic-itis” part, this is now my 6th BC… I know… I know… but I just can’t help it, besides I have 9 grandchildren, logically I need 3 more … Right?

Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Another BC …
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »
Nice snag Mike. And a great price too.
Enjoy you new..er...BC ;D

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:22:28 AM »
Good on ya Mike!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
Sure feels good to find deals like that!! ;D
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
I picked mine up today also. It's not as nice as Mike's even tho it is new and unfired. The stock at the top of grip on left side was pretty roughed up from improper packing for the shipment or maybe it was that way before shipped. Unlike Mike this is my first BC.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
Bill, if you call NEF and tell them about your forearm they will probably replace it for free. They will probably ask you to send in your old one though...
I had the same kind of experiance with a brand new Handi and the forearm didn't match. I called them up and they said they would replace it free of charge, all I needed to do was ship back my old one.
Just a thought..

-Aaron

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »
Mike

You need to stay out of the gun shops , The first time i met you at Shaners , you had 2 new Handi's with you , a 22 Hornet and a something else plus the 41 RB .  ;D :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 02:06:36 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:25:49 PM »

Congrats Mike, getting another BC!  We are going to miss you at the P. D. shoot
 this year.  Take care my friend Marv.

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
Yes, you need 3 more. And we understand, GrandpaMike, we understand. Hunman55

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:22:39 AM »
My kids say heck with the grand-kids, when do they get theirs.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"