Author Topic: HANDI RIFLE IN 22WMR CAN I USE A 243 OR 3030 BAREL ON THIS GUN?  (Read 553 times)

Offline George K

• Trade Count: (0)
I HAD RECENTLY BOUGHT A HANDI RIFLE WITH BOTH A 243 AND 3030 BARREL FOR MY SON.  SINCE THEN I FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON A SECOND HANDI RIFLE IN 22WMR.   A ROUND I ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE.  ALL 3 OF THESE BARRELS FROM THE 2 GUNS FIT ON EACH OTHER AND LOCK UP JUST FINE.  WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO THE RIMFIRE GUN TO BE ABLE TO USE THE CENTER FIRE BARRELS ON IT.  I AM HOPING THIS IS POSSIBLE.

THANKS
GEORGE K

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: HANDI RIFLE IN 22WMR CAN I USE A 243 OR 3030 BAREL ON THIS GUN?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
George K

Sorry buddy , the 22 mag may fit on the CF frame but will never fire as the firing pins are in the wrong place , to try it on the CF frame it will put a dimple in the middle of the case but will not set off the round . thats why they call them Rim Fires .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
Even if a centerfire barrel would work on the rimfire SS1 frame, which it won't due to the firing pin location, the frame isn't strong enough for any centerfire rifle cartridge, they aren't heat treated to handle the pressure.

Tim

As stimpy pointed out, this is whatcha end up with trying to shoot a rimfire barrel on a centerfire frame, you can see the difference between the pin strikes.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline George K

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
THANKS BOTH OF YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.  I GUESS I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE BARRELS COULD BE SWAPPED LIKE A ROSSI WHERE YOU CAN USE BOTH RIMFIRE CENTER FIRE AND SHOTGUN FROM THE SAME FRAME.

IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE BOTH A NICE RIM FIRE AND CENTER FIRE RIFLES.  I THINK I NEED TO GET A 22 LONG RIFLE BARREL FOR IT.

THANKS
GEORGE K

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 07:45:34 AM »
Hey Quick:

Have you heard of anyone rechambering a 17 HMR barrel to Rem 17 FB and fitting it to a SB2 frame?

Do you know what type of steel NEF uses in it's rim fire barrels?

I'm thinking about sending NEF a rimfire frame, then doing the rechamber and installing a 223 ejector on the new barrel and fitting to an extra SB@ frame.  Should be quick and easy and gain 1000 f/s plus still having the rimfire setup for closer shots.

Would have had the project already completed except for Murphy doing a "monkey on my back" act and "stuff happening" for the past 4 months.  :(

Surely someone has though about this before me and already "donnit".  ???

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Rimfire barrels are 1137, not a good choice for a centerfire round. No one has done a 17 Fireball that I know of, but at least one, trotterlg, has done a 17 Remington with poor accuracy, too much vertical stringing to be acceptable, he sold it on ebay eventually. Centerfire rifle barrels are 4140 chrome moly.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:26:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Good thing I didn't go ahead with the project with the NEF barrel.  Guess the XP100 action gets the 17 FB nod.

Thanks again

Offline HonkerHunter

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »
I hope that i am not out of line here but I had one of my 17 HMR barrels rechambered to 17 ackley hornet and fitted to one of my sb2 frames and it is now one of the most accurate H&R barrels I own.

HH

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:36:57 AM »
I hope that i am not out of line here but I had one of my 17 HMR barrels rechambered to 17 ackley hornet and fitted to one of my sb2 frames and it is now one of the most accurate H&R barrels I own.

HH

THANK YOU.  I was thinking about that very thing, and was becoming a little discouraged by this discussion.

Don