Author Topic: 357 barrel-first range trip, scope mounts moving  (Read 394 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
357 barrel-first range trip, scope mounts moving
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »
It started off well.  I took my newly scoped SKS (don't mock me), my new Savage 22, and the new 357 barrel.  It has been maybe 3 months since I last got to shoot. 

Anyway, I made a scope mount for the SKS out of some angle steel, JB Weld, and a Marlin 336 Weaver mount.  It turned out well enough.  I drilled and tapped the receiver with the mount and it seems solid.  The problem being that it shoots 18" to the right at 50 yards (the scope is offset to left  ::) )  But the groups were good at 1.5" or so, SKS good.

Coming to the point.  I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 on the 357 barrel with old school Weaver top mount rings.  The scope held fine with 38 spl +P, but the POI went crazy with the 357 loads.  The scope slid forward to knock the Williams sight off.  I took it down and remounted.  It did the same thing the second time with as much torque as I could put on there. 

The Trophy is very glossy.  Anyone have some ideas?  I put electrical tape inside the cheap Simmons rings on the 22 and that worked.  They have some pretty vague tolerances at that price point though.  The Weaver rings don't have that kind of room.

Offline oldbadger

Re: 357 barrel-first range trip, scope mounts moving
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:21:48 PM »
 How about a drop of ' lock-tight '

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
Lay some wet/dry sand paper in em, just enough to create some friction. You could also use Burris' idea, friction paper, only just use self stick address labels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »
Well, I happen to have some address labels in my bag of tricks for labelling my reloading boxes. Good deal.  I just need something that is thinner that PVC tape.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »
Blue locktight in the scope rings will do it.  On the SKS, try rotating one of the scope rings 180 degrees (left side to right) and see if it get better or worse, then the other if that doesn't work.  You will find one combo that either makes it better or worse.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 03:40:38 AM »
I like to take rubber cement, and put a thin layer on the inside of the rings to keep them from slipping.

-Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:18:52 AM »
Hmm, rubber cement would probably peel back off easily too.  I tried the Loctite one time and it was a mess.  That was back before I understood "less is more" sometimes.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
It does peel off easy that's for sure, so you have to be careful when setting the scope back in the rings.  When it is all tightened down though it works great. 
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"