Author Topic: couple new reloader question  (Read 443 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
couple new reloader question
« on: June 08, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Whats a good starting powder for the .357 magnum? i've heard 2400 is a pretty good powder for magnum pistols. also i have about 300 empty cases of independence brass are these ok to reload?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline safari

Re: couple new reloader question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:32:15 AM »
I cut my teeth on reloading for the .357 30+ years ago and started with Hercules 2400 powder. Works better in barrels over 4", and have used several other powders with equal success. There are many factors to consider, gun type, barrel length, type of bullet, and what you expect from your reloads. H110 has given me the most velocity from the .357, but 4227, 2400, and Lil gun also do well. I have 2 different loads I use in my .357 handguns, a hard cast 158gr plinking load with AA5 or Unique, and a high velocity  100yard loads with XTP bullets with H110 or 4227 powder out of 6-8" guns.  Let us know what you're wanting these reloads for, and what gun you are shooting them out of, and we can give you some better guesses on what will work best for you.
As Far as the brass, never heard of the Independence brand. Surely they'll give you a  few loadings before any problems arise,  if the primers seat snug and there's no splits or cracks in the case walls, load em up, wear them out, and buy some Starline after they're gone.

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:41:17 AM »
I've used 2400 powder for years. It is a very accurate powder to use in heavy loads. They say that the newer 2400 isn't as dirty as the older stuff. I still have some older stuff to use up. H-110 is also very good. I started with this powder 35 years ago in my Ruger BK. It is also for heavy loads. Unique is a great powder for cast bullets and medium loads. My favorite hunting load for my 357's is 16.5 to 17 grs of H-110 under a 140 JHP. My favorite load for cast bullets is 13.5 grs of 2400 under a 158 cast gas check bullet.
Not sure what you mean about brass, but I have used all kinds of brass over the years from stuff I picked up at ranges to factory stuff. I trim it all one time so you get a uniform crimp.
What do you have for a 357?
Have fun with this caliber it is a great cartiridge.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
its a ruger gp100 with a 4" barrel. i'd like a nice deer load for around 25-50 yards i'm really new to reloading i've picked up a couple books my dies should be here on tuesday just need to get a few more odds and ends. thanks for the help guys i'm sure i'll have more questions
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon