Author Topic: 6PPC for deer hunting  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
6PPC for deer hunting
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »
I'm wondering how effective a 6PPC would be on deer out to 200 yds.  It sends an 85 gr. Nosler Partition bullet from the muzzle at 2800 fps and drills them into less than 1/2" at 100 yds. and 3/4" at 200yds. (5 shot groups)  I like the no recoil aspect of it and it's tack driving accuracy.  I've shot lots of deer with a .243 and 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and had great success, so I think this should work, just looking for other opinions.  If I've done my research right this makes the 6PPC from my rifle more potent than a .243 Win. from a pistol, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work well.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline swampthing

• A Real Regular
Re: 6PPC for deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
If you can shoot that good in the field, and, you can show restraint by only take broadside shots, they will be all done. I would stay away from "stunt" shots.

Offline Selmer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:48:27 PM »
Never been a fan of stunt shots, only shots that kill deer quickly and cleanly, (aka, boiler room) no matter what cartridge.  I have had to put down wounded deer with a .243 and 100 gr. Nosler Partitions.  I know from first hand experience that it WILL run a big deer from one end to the other, no matter which end it's shot from.  I've taken a couple head-on shots in the chest that exit the hindquarters at 100 yds. +  Based on this experience, a good broadside or quartering away shot should be no problem for an 85 gr. Partition out of the 6PPC, I was just curious what other persons' reactions would be.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
An 85 grain Partition at 2800 fps will do just fine on any deer inside of 200 yards. But so will a couple of other bullets: the Sierra 80 grain SSP (discontinued but still plentiful) and the Speer 80 grain Hot Core spitzer. I've used the Sierra since it first became available and have stockpiled them as their performance is splendid as long as the MV is kept under 3000 fps.

By the way, the Sierra 80 grain Varminter Blitz performs similarly (though not identically) to the 80 grain SSP.