Author Topic: extractors are "less than desirable"  (Read 2005 times)

Offline C. Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: extractors are "less than desirable"
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
Will each new NEF gun come with its own little screwdriver you can use to pry out the shell? :)

:D Ejector or Extractor? I'm not too hard to please, I just wish it would do one of the two 100% of the time.

I use the filed notch and pocket knife method. Store bought ammo ejects almost every time, but my loads with the Lee Loader are not as consistent.

C. Davis

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:10 AM »
My hunting gun as a kid was a Savage model 25, which had extractors on both the .22 barrel and the 410-barrel.  I really envied one of my friends who had a break action 20 ga., which had an ejector that would throw the spent shell over his shoulder.  All four Handi barrels that I have owned have had ejectors, which I found great in the field but a pain in the rump at the range.  The only one that gave me any trouble was my .223 barrel.  If I wasn’t careful to wipe my reloads I could count on some sticking.  I usually carried a cleaning rod to the range to tap out the occasional stuck casing.
RJ

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 04:51:38 AM »
I have had both and prefer the extractor.
In fact I sold my ejector barrel and got an extractor.
Much smoother and quieter.
Before they started making extractors the ejector was one of the biggest complaints on this site.
There is even a sticky on how to convert your ejector to a spring loaded extractor.

Plus I always pick up my brass.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 06:09:42 AM »
Will each new NEF gun come with its own little screwdriver you can use to pry out the shell? :)

:D Ejector or Extractor? I'm not too hard to please, I just wish it would do one of the two 100% of the time.

I use the filed notch and pocket knife method. Store bought ammo ejects almost every time, but my loads with the Lee Loader are not as consistent.

C. Davis

If factory loads ejects all the time..but your hand loads don't...then I'm afraid there is something wrong with your hand loads..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
It's the "ejects almost every time" thing that has me firmly preferring the extractors over ejectors. even one stuck case is too much.

This is the last time I beat this dead horse.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline C. Davis

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »

C. Davis

If factory loads ejects all the time..but your hand loads don't...then I'm afraid there is something wrong with your hand loads..

Yea, the Lee Loader only sizes the neck, and not the whole brass. The brass is sized to the chamber after the shot. It makes for some very accurate loads, but some stick more than brass that is shot for the first time. If I had my druthers, I would have a good strong extractor.

C. Davis

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »

If I had my druthers, I would have a good strong extractor.

Well...you could always sell you barrel on the the NEF classifieds..and send it in for a extractor barrel...there is a bunch of ejector lovers here...  ;)

Mac

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 01:15:26 PM »

What I do is after resizing brass I run them through brass polisher.
 cuts down on stuck brass, just my 2 cents Marv.

Offline edgemark

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »
Seems to me that we might be talking about CHEAP brass!

I have never seen someone that shoots 45-70 brass want to eject it!
Most folks lovingly take care of it  ;)

edge.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »
Had cases start to stick in a extractor barrel, then realized the cam on the extractor had broken. It was a quick fix with the free part from H&R. Have both and don't mind either. But, like quickdtoo, I tend to forget which one is in my hand till a case bounces off my face ... a little embarrassing.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »
After firing hundreds and hundreds of rounds never had a stuck case.  I shoot .243, 30-06, .223, 45-70, .35 Whelen, and 12ga.  They eject each and every time just like they are suposed to. 

In 48 years of hunting, have only needed a second shot twice.  But those two times it was crucial that I be able to get off a second shot fast.  I do hunt dangerous game with my Handis, and ejectors are a must with me.

Like I said before I won't own one with extractors, hated it when some folks started complaining about the ejectors.  They were too lazy to just put thrie finger up behind the barrel so that when it opened they could stop the case before it went airborne.  Now the company has changed this to suite them, and lost my business.  I have a new Ultra, when I called to check the availiability of a new barrel was told all they were making now was barrels with extractors.  I decided not to order a new barrel.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »
I have to agree with Sourdough.  I only have one, with an extractor, a BC Carbine.  Of course, it was only made with an extractor.  Now I am looking for all of the used ejector models I can find.   ;D
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline Montrunner

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 06:54:46 AM »
Does anyone have a guide on how to file this groove correctly? I have the same problem with handloads.

I use the "filed notch" and pocket knife method. Store bought ammo ejects almost every time, but my loads with the Lee Loader are not as consistent.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 07:22:49 AM »
Does anyone have a guide on how to file this groove correctly? I have the same problem with handloads.

I use the "filed notch" and pocket knife method. Store bought ammo ejects almost every time, but my loads with the Lee Loader are not as consistent.

Welcome to GBO:

Fred M has some real good info on his site for doing this...and many many other things for the Handi rifle as well... We too have a complete section called the FAQ's & help at the top of the page..Here's a link to Fred's page with this info on it..http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/hrultrawp.html..and the link to the FAQ's here..http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html

Mac

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 04:41:06 AM »
For me, it depends on what the cartridge is. 

Centerfire pistol or rifle = extractor.   I hate looking for brass, and most centerfire is easily grabbed from the chamber by my fingers.  And to me, an extractor adds a gentleman's "sporting" touch. (lack of a better description)

rimfire:  ejector is preferred.  cant reload it, generally too small to grab a hold to.  thin rimfire brass doesn't last long in the environment.

shotgun:  ejector on single shot shotguns - hulls are easy to find when walking back to vehicle.   In O/U or SxS shotguns - I prefer extractors.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07