Author Topic: A question about Stainless Optima  (Read 915 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
A question about Stainless Optima
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:28:11 AM »
Are the stainless Optimas all stainless? Or is a significant portion (like the frame) nickel plated instead?  I am considering ordering one, and I hope it is completely stainless.

I am not sure what caliber yet, but I am narrowing it down to 7mm-08 or the 308.   I want something with lower recoil but still flat shooting.  It I get one I will probably eventually get the 45-70. 

I would like to see a 44 Mag barrel, nice and short too 18-20 inches. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: A question about Stainless Optima
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »

I assume your meaning the Optima Elites...correct...They are all stainless..and made out of 416R..The blued versions are 4140 steel..

Quick has the 7-08 and I have the 308...both are very good shooters...The 45-70 barrels are awesome..http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,115587.0.html

The 45-70 barrels will be available later on this year..I can't wait till I have mine back..the one I shot went over to Africa and they successfully took some Zebra & warthogs with it...and the guides over there were totally impressed with it & the Lever Evolution ammo in it..The  26"  222 & 223 & 300 Win mag barrels will be available soon too...I don't know when the 44 calibers will be included in their line up..hopefully soon...same for a bunch of other calibers we would like to see..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:14:02 AM »
I have been a fan of the Handi for years, and still am, but I am wanting a good stainless rifle, and the Handi receivers are nickle not stainless.  Further, all of my Handis tend to start rusting before practically any firearm I have ever used.  My 10 guage rusted in 1 day of Turkey hunting.  These CVA's look good and if I invest, I may want more barrels.  45-70 would be obvious as I have shot that in a Handi for 15 years or so.  But I am also a fan of the 44 Mag in a rife.  The 44 would not need the 24 inch barrel and may actually be at a disadvantage velocity-wise with some loads. 

If I buy a gun, I will contact their sales folks and put the bug in their ear. 

Oh, and yes I mean the Elite.

Thanks for the info.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:23:28 AM »
Ummm, maybe you should consider using a good rust preventative on you firearms!! ;) All of my H&Rs are kept in the basement, have never had a problem with rust, humidity varies from 50% to 70%, not a problem with Eezox, nor here hunting in the wet state of Washington for 55yrs.

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:18:54 AM »
I do, and I wipe them down on a regular basis, particlarly before I head to the field.  I have only had a serious problem with it on my 10 guage.  That said, I was out all day in freezing rain and snow during KY fall turkey season.  I got home and there were little rust rings where droplets had been.  My 1993 45-70 has had hints of rust coming through the blueing over the years, even after just sitting in my cabinet.  I have seen several on used racks that had minor rust showing however and it is something I am careful to look for when looking at a used Handi.  I recently passed up on a used 30-30 Handi for just that reason. You can see rust on many used guns, but it is usually associated with wear or scratches or something like that.   Handi's seem more likely to rust right through the blueing.   That is my experience anyway.  Knowing this has not stopped me from buying them though, it is just something I accept and plan on dealing with.  I have/had several Handis/Ultras (4570 with 223 barrel, 10 guage, 22 mag, 500 magnum, and I used to have a 12 guage Ultra Slug). 

I am open to new ideas though, and I will check out some of the other preservatives out there.  My old favorite is Rem-Oil.  The success you have had with Eezox is convincing and I will give it a try. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »

For the normal usage I have had with the Handi's..I've only had 1 that I would consider a rust bucket..I bought a used 30-06 a few years back..and while it was a fair shooter..that thing would rust every time I even though about taking it out of the house...It was crazy...I used Rem-oil on it at the time..but..since Quick showed me this article a couple years ago..I've used CLP with out a problem...

I do like full stainless guns..but even stainless can freckle as well...so no matter what you get..use the Essox or CLP...on them..I haven't had any problems with my stainless barrels or receiver..even using black powder with the 50 cal. muzzle loader...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:40:21 AM »
Break-Free CLP rates excellect also and is easy to get just about anywhere, Eezox can be hard to find unless you buy it online. I bought a case of it from a dealer here about 17yrs ago, glad I did, they retired and closed up shop a couple yrs ago. The nice thing about Eezox is that it dries to a protective film and doesn't collect dust like other oils.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »
I knew stainless can rust as well.  Found out for myself once.  I used to have a 32 ACP Beretta Tomcat in stainless for concealed carry.  Nice little gun, and I carried it alot.  But I had to keep an eye on it because it would show a little rust from time to time.  My Rem-Oil was able to keep on top of it if I did my part.