Author Topic: Filling Cracks on old wagon wheels?  (Read 756 times)

Offline Gringo Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
Filling Cracks on old wagon wheels?
« on: June 23, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »
Howdy All

What can a guy use to fill cracks on an old set of wagon wheels?  I thought I would try some Gorilla glue. But have never done this before so I thought I would ask you guys...Is there anything better to use?

Thanks
 Gringo

Offline lance

Re: Filling Cracks on old wagon wheels?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »
if you are painting the wheels, bondo works real good. there are several waterproof epoxys on the market. all depends if you are painting or staining.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
Bondo has a "Gel" that soaks in better than regular classic bondo. It will  penetrate the wood a bit, strengthing it and it will be less likely to crack. It is easy to find... I get it at walmart... it is called bondo gel. It is a bit runny though... not as runny as simple 2 part autobody epoxy, but a bit runny. If you can use masking tape to fill in the sides so that you are only stuffing it in from the top of the crack it will work awesome.

If it is just small cracks the gel won't run. Do a small amount at a time so that you don't get ahead of yourself.

Rick

Offline Gringo Jack

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Yes I do intend to paint these wheels.  They are in real good shape with light cracking on the hubs and a little worm damage around the tire. it shouldn't take to much to fill them in.

Thanks again
 Gringo

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
Don't use gorilla glue, It expands (a lot) as it dries. It might make the cracks bigger.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 02:21:52 AM »
When possible, replace wood with wood. wood constantly expands and contracts and putting bondo or similar hard material into a crack acts like a wedge and the wood fibers will crush when they expand against the hard material causing the filler material to become loose over time. The effects worsens when the wood is soft or rotten and the humidity is high.
Max

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
  I been filling wood crack on cannon builds with Swiss type fiber glass resin for the last 15 years with good results  . Tape to stop running as mention by someone else .