Author Topic: I have been busy  (Read 1121 times)

Offline m223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I have been busy
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »
Hi all, I made some changes to the first mortar I made , it is the one I use as my avatar. It was suggested the trunnions were not large enough in diameter ( 1.125), so I got hold of some 2.500 round steel, and machined it to have a press fit over the existing trunnions. I had to clean all the paint off around this area so I could weld them on. Next I die ground them and used J.B. weld to smooth around weld area. I still need to clean it up and repaint it. I made a base for it out of some junk we had lying around work. I did not have any plans for this , just kind of winged it. I just pieced it all together to see if it would workout so excuse the rough look.I also made a linstock and some slow match. Below is a link to a couple pictures. Any suggestions  as to a finish I should use on the wood? Also forgive me no powder can. The bore is soda can. Thanks, Tracy 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: I have been busy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
The 1-1/8 trunnions would probably do, BUT now it LOOKS much better!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:53:29 PM »
way to go :-)

Offline lance

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
hey Tracy, looks good, if it was mine i would paint the wood BLACK, but it's yours to stain if ya want...
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »
Yea, I like the larger trunnions too.

The slow match also looks cool. I'm gonna try the food coloring trick next time.

Bill

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 12:57:30 AM »
Thank you for your encouragement . I was hoping this would turn out decent. I really do not want to stain the wood. I was thinking black also for the base. Olive Drab?, I tossed that idea around in my head thinking it would add some contrast to the barrel; although I have yet to see any northern aggressors with O.D. Dictators. Sheeze , when will those guys ever get any fashion sense? Thanks again,  Tracy  P.S. Bill if you have a better half around the house be careful with the food coloring, I've been a BAD BOY! :-)

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 08:02:57 AM »
That came out real nice with larger trunnions. It's amazing what difference a subtle change can make!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline lance

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »
Tracy, now that you mentioned olive- drab, that would be kinda neat. see the thing is, if you don't like the color, you don't re-paint over it. it's always easier to build another mortar, now you have twice as much fun. then before you know it you'll want to keep adding to the collection. i really like your mortar, and i'm looking forward to the next build.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 01:20:57 AM »
Oh you guys are really rotten, enabling my addiction is one thing, but to actually encourage it.... Atrocious!! :-) :-) Really, I am no better, Every day at work I give my co-worker some little tid-bit of cannon lore. Just a couple of hits, so he keeps coming back for more. In his eyes I can see.... his will power is faltering.... Now during lunch break his peaceful cat-nap has been replaced by a furious figure hunched over a lathe, eyes burning with desire. Poor fellow....  HA,HA,HA !!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:57 AM »
Oh you guys are really rotten, enabling my addiction is one thing, but to actually encourage it.... Atrocious!! :-) :-) ...

Thanks for them kind words!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:17:58 PM »
Your most welcome C.W. By the way, the poor fellow that I passed the cannon bug on to just finished his g.b. coehorn barrel today. I have to say it looks pretty nice! He snapped some pics of it at work with his cell phone, but he needs a special cord to download the photos. I  think he will be joining the forum soon, so I won't spoil  his build here. I hope to get some smoke & fire pics tomorrow.   Tracy

Offline lance

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »
Tracy, us rotten guys!!! you'll probably get fired for getting your co-workers hooked, unless you get the boss too! WELL, which color is this one going to be??? what about the next one? are you going to name them or number them?

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »
To those easily offended , "You rotten guys" , is a term of endearment. I truly  appreciate your comments & support. None of us guys at work are to worried about getting fired to much, as our traitorous company, (not a term of endearment) is selling us out to Mexico after over 120 years of proud operation here in America. It was the proverbial American Dream while it lasted, now a lot of talented folks will be on the streets before Christmas. I had planned On buying a lathe ,but a lack of pay checks will put that on hold for some time. I  may have time to make a few more barrels. I have a few hunks of brass  1.250" diameter  9.00"  long .  Perhaps a .45 cal cannon? I need to search the forum for plans or ideas , any help here appreciated. Humm... names or numbers? I  am thinking names. My girlfriend, that has apparently left me was kind of big and loud. So, henceforth  my little dictator will be known as Vickki . Paint will have to wait till after the fourth. Now if the rain would stop I could make some smoke and fire.  Talk at you later , Tracy 

Offline lance

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
Tracy, with tears in my eyes from laughing, rotten guys, don't offend me. sorry to hear about your job and girlfriend both leaving you. any chance your company will sell off any machines that you might be able to buy? maybe you and a few of the guys could start a machine shop??? if you can't find an ideal for a cannon on this forum, i don't know what to tell you. good luck with everything!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
 I  think he will be joining the forum soon,
...  Tracy

You're a qualified 'pusher' too, now.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks fellas, glad we can all see the humorous side of life. Its good for what ails ya! Sadly the wonderful lathes and mill will be going also , but I can't complain, I learned a little bit playing machinist over the last decade.On a more cheerful note. Oh boy did I have fun today, the rain finally let up, and for the first time I got smoke and fire out of my new girls. I have named my little golf ball mortar, Twiggy. She is petite and good mannered, not very loud. It was blanks only for her today, I did not want to throw a golf ball to far into the unknown. She did throw a pretty orange flame about 6' long. The real fun is with loud mouth Viickki . Rotated the barrel to near vertical , dropped my charge , inserted a soda can full of water, touched the fuse, and got a deep satisfying BOOM. Man it was great watching that can sail all most straight up until it was just a dot hanging there in the sky. A few seconds later it was crashing through the limbs of the huge cottonwood tree about 50 yards away. the whole backyard was full of smoke! Man I thought it was fun making these things, but the real pleasure is in seeing your creation come to life. I will attempt to get pics next time. Enjoy your weekend gents.   Tracy

Offline lance

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »
hey Tracy, are you telling us you got a new girlfriend? pics would be good,maybe she could pose with the mortar.

Offline m223

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
No Lance, a man must rejoice in his freedom for a while before jumping back into the fray. Twiggy is just a name that seemed to suite my little mortar. If and when I find a better half it will be a prerequisite to pose with the artillery.  And Yes, I will post wholesome family orientated pictures. Hey don't blame me, I don't make the rules. Have a great Fourth !!!    Tracy