Author Topic: Topper frame  (Read 374 times)

Offline noyb72

• Trade Count: (0)
Topper frame
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
Hi again

I mentioned in a previous post that the first gun I ever shot was my father's 20 gauge topper. I have seen that many of you have rifles on topper frames. Would my frame work for a rifle barrel? I understand it would be for a low pressure round like 45-70 or 30-30 or 22 hornet, but I figure if I already have a frame that works I might as well start with it. I don't have the serial number but this gun has to be 37 years old or older. It is tight and functions fine. I have possessed it for at least 10 years and it is in like new condition. I would also like to get another shotgun barrell for it for turkey and rabbit hunting. The barrel I have is a full choke but I don't want to drill and tap it for sights, which I would use for turkey. Will NEF still fit topper barrels or only SB2 barrels. I know I'm asking alot but I couldn't find this info in the FAQs or 101.

Thanks for everything

Ron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Topper frame
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:19:03 PM »
H&R won't fit ANY barrel to a frame made before 1987, high pressure asterisk marked barrels can only be fitted to frames made 1999 or later. Year of mfr info can be found in our FAQs sticky.

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline noyb72

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:23:05 PM »
OK thanks

If I found a barrel on gun broker or evil bay, would it be safe to fit. I have read the barrel fitment thread and it doesn't sound difficult. I really do appreciate your help.

Ron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »
I wouldn't recommend putting any rifle barrel on an old cast iron shotgun frame, not when you can buy a late model used SB2 frame for $75-$100, it's just not worth the risk.  ;)

Tim

Offline noyb72

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »
OK

That make sense. I thought I remember someone in the FAQs putting one together to make a light weight walking rig, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Thanks again

Ron

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
Even if the calculation of pressure work out, it is considered an evil post on this board to suggest it is OK to mount ANY rifle barrel on a shotgun frame, even the lowly Hornet.  Even if it is technically safe, it is not OK to say it is safe here.  Anyone telling you it is OK to do so will be banished forever.  If you are thinking of doing it, then do the math, frame pressure = Pi (3.1416) times the raidus of the cartridge at the chamber end squared  times the pressure, compare it to the numbers for a 12 gauge, take into account the larger fireing pin of a shotgun and make your own decision.  You will never see it posted here that it is a proper thing to do.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
Posting of ANY unsafe information is grounds for removal from GBO, advocating the use of rifle barrels on shotgun frames is no different and won't be condoned.

Tim

Purposely posting incorrect, misleading, or hazardous information will result in removal from the GBO website permanently on the first offense.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,54070.0.html

Offline noyb72

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:34:18 PM »
Understand, and have no problem at all.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between an old shotgun frame and an old rifle frame? Right now on gun broker there is a topper that looks just like dads gun that came from the factory with the 30-30 barrel and also has a 20 guage barrel fitted. I understand that you shouldn't do it the other way around, but what was the difference between the frames back then?

Again, thanks for your help

Ron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:00:11 PM »
You can see the differences in current production SB1 and SB2 frames in the FAQs, about the only thing that we are certain about the older frames is they were cast iron and weren't heat treated. The old Shikari was chambered in 45-70  but could only be used with trapdoor loads. As far a I know, only one frame was used on the older H&Rs, shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader, there was no SB1 or SB2 designation, although they were offered under different model numbers, IE 58, 158, ect, you can see a list of all the model numbers on the link below, not all were break barrels either. H&R even built M-1 Garands at one time!! ;)

Tim

http://e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=101