Author Topic: Hello  (Read 425 times)

Offline jarrettszcz

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
Ok i have a question y'all prolly have heard a million times. i have a topper 158 AH serial that has a 20ga barrel i got for 75 bucks at a pawnshop and have refinished it. ive been coyote hunting alot and wondering what and if any barrels i could get for it with proper fitting from a gunsmith?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
It is a cerca 1971 frame. You can not send in the frame for a new barrel. It is not recommended that any rifle barrels be fitted to that frame because they were not heat treated as they are now. Even new 20 gauge receivers (SB1) can not be fitted with barrels for fear of a blow up or frame stretch. They are not made with the proper heat treatment. With that said, I owned a Topper from about 1975 that had a 22 hornet barrel on it. I am sure that there were some 30 -30 barrels put on some too. I really would not entertain the thought. You can buy a new rifle in a suitable caliber for the $200 - $225 range. Of course used ones would be cheaper. Buy any thing with a SB2 receiver made 1n 1999 or later and it can be fitted with a variety of barrels.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »
Welcome to GBO. You will find a lot of friendly folks here. ;D

Offline jarrettszcz

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »
awww that stinks... guese its the mosin nagant with 200gr sp or .17hmr untill i can get enough money and try to talk my mom why i neeed it more then otherthings >< thanks for the info!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
You can get a lot of helpful information in the FAQ and Help at the top of this page about Handi rifles. Take a little time and read through it. It has all of the info I just gave you and a lot lot more. it is good reading even if you do not do any thing else. ;D Save your money and get a Handi. It one heck of a gun for the money. My wife thinks that the Ultra is one of my best looking guns in the safe and I have a few. ;D

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
If you reload or have any friends that load you could work up a nasty coyote load for the nagant using hornady 123gr v-max designed for the 7.62x39.  I loaded some up a few years ago and got about 3,000fps out of them.  They shot pretty well and expanded quick, may not get an exit so they could be fur friendly if you are keeping fur.  I only had a 4x scout scope set-up on the nagant so I don't know what type of long range accuracy I would have had with that load.  Is your nagant scoped?

Offline jarrettszcz

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
mines the scout setup also with only a red dot for now its the 91/30 the baseball bat/tent pole/walking stick/firewood i cant get that red dot to sight in very well we went coyote hunting today and dident see a thing just heard them like usual we both took are commie guns and called it the official Russian rifle hunting day

Offline jarrettszcz

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
but 30-30 would be the only centerfire it could handle?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
Please read the FAQs as LaOtto222 recommended, a lot of your questions will be answered there, the thread below is from the FAQs on shooting a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,121724.msg1098413838.html#msg1098413838
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain