Author Topic: Great Site!  (Read 561 times)

Offline Joel45acp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Great Site!
« on: June 26, 2007, 05:38:31 AM »
I just wanted to express my thoughts and views on this site.  I've been viewing this site for several days and I'm amazed how much I've learned about Handi Rifles and such.  Thanks for the wealth of information and insight.  By the way, where do I find the FAQ?  I'm thinking of purchasing a Handi for my 9yrs old son.  This will be his first deer gun and I want to get the correct one.  I'm thinking of getting a youth model with a 357mag barrel since I currently reload 38s, 357mag and cast my own SWC, SWC-HP.  What do you Handiholics think?  Thanks for your insight in advance.

In Christ,

Joel C.
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Great Site!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:45:49 AM »
Welcome to GBO!! The FAQs is the very first topic on this forum. ;) The 357Mag is only available as an accessory barrel, and back ordered at this time, but after you buy a Handi and send it in, they should have some available for fitting in a couple months or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:07:45 AM »
Welcome Joel. I would like to echo Joel's words about GBO I have been around for a while now and can't go a day or two without getting on here to see whats going on. This truly is a website with a wealth of info.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:09:28 AM »
Joel

Another one to consider is the good old 30/30 , your bullet choices are better and the recoil in the handi is very low . I load mine from 90gr HPs to 180gr Spitzers and they all shoot very well .

As you do reload , you can taylor a load that will shoot for him and still keep it with a kid friendly recoil .

stimpy

PS --- Welcome Aboard GBO and the crazy world of Handi's
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Joel45acp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:39:43 AM »
I forgot to mention, my little one is only 50lbs soaking wet.  Do you still think the 30/30 will be OK?  I have a local pawn shop in town that has one for $195 with a Tasco 3x9x40 scope.  The condition of the rifle is good to excellent with no visible signs of rust, pitting or scuff marks.  Would I have to change out the stock?  What do you think?  Again, thanks for the wealth of info. this site has provided.  By the way, I'm not much of a rifle shooter, but these Handis are quickly changing my mind.   

PS  Give me a 1911 any day of the week  ;D
In Christ,

Joel C.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
That's a good price on a hard to find chambering!! ;) You can cut the stock down or just buy or trade for a youth stock, lots of opportunities in the NEF Classifieds here, and they're available direct from H&R, price list is in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:37 AM »
I think your at the right place when it comes to handis i have a soft spot for the 357mag very versatile rd start with some 38's and move up. Plus you can keep the 30/30 barrel for later OR there are MANY people here that will take it off you hands. I just got finished reming mine to 357 max (even more uses). With the max you are at 30/30 level (factory ammo).

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:31:33 AM »
Hi Joel.  Welcome!

The .30-30 is such a neat cartridge in the Handi that you could pick up the one at the pawn shop and keep it for yourself.  If it proved to much for your son at the moment, he will eventually grow into it.  If the SN# is NN or later, the frame could be sent in for the .357 barrel.  Then you'll have a rifle that both can use.    ;)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:33:58 AM »
Joel

Both of my sisters boys , 8 & 10 shoot my 30/30 with a 50% reduced load of H4895 very well . they both are tall & skinny and have long arms so i was able to keep the full size butt stock . But a good point is made about the .357 being able to start with 38s .

Try him with a 410 and if he can handle the recoil of it he can handle the 30/30 .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »
If the SN# is NN or later, the frame could be sent in for the .357 barrel. 

This is sometimes a confusing issue, what EVOC ONE means to say is any frame made 1987 or later, which would be a NB or HB, can be fitted with a 357 barrel, any frame made 1999 or later, NN or HN, can be fitted with high pressure barrels, those marked with an asterisk * in the accessory barrel list. ;)

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
I agree this is a great site with alot of great knowledgeable people. I have learned very much here and sign on everyday since I found this site. I really like the idea of the 357 Mag. Is it really true that a 357 Max could match a 30/30? What I mean as match is could the ballistics and trajectory and knock down power be about the same?
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
I would snap up that 30-30 in a heartbeat. you can tailor the loads to whatever you need, ammo is available everywhere, and cheap too. Besides , your son won't be nine forever. and it's a caliber he can grow with.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:57:06 PM »
Dale,

Here's a comparison of the 30-30 and 35 Remington which has a bit more power than the 357Max, keep in mind the 30-30 could be loaded with spitzer bullets too, so it's performance would be enhanced over what the table shows.

Tim

30-30 150gr/170gr vs 35 Rem 150gr/200gr

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »
Welcome Joel. You are in good company here at Graybeard. It feels like home here. Charlie

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »

Welcome to GBO:

Grab the 30-30...and if it is a late enough frame send it in for a additional barrel...This recommendation may send shivers down quite a few spines..but..get him a fluted 24" 223 barrel to hunt with...Yea I know...everyone & their brother will tell ya I'm nuts...but...this is why I am saying this...

I forgot to mention, my little one is only 50lbs soaking wet.

Now...if legal where you are for him to use it...This is the ammo I would let him hunt with...and limit the distances with it to 100 yards...and you being right there with him coaching him on where to aim will be helpful to him...and fun for you....http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&ammoGroup=1&brand=FA&prodID=FAP223Q or for a 50 round box...http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=388836

Here's a nice article about using the 22's on deer I found......http://www.fishandhunttexas.com/debate_over_22_center.htm

Even if he winds up hunting with the 30-30...he will enjoy shooting the 223...and if he enjoys himself...it will stay with him a lifetime...Nice thing about the 223...ammo is rather in-expensive..and these 2 calibers are some of the best shooting Handi's you'll get...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:16:34 PM »
If the SN# is NN or later, the frame could be sent in for the .357 barrel. 

This is sometimes a confusing issue, what EVOC ONE means to say is any frame made 1987 or later, which would be a NB or HB, can be fitted with a 357 barrel, any frame made 1999 or later, NN or HN, can be fitted with high pressure barrels, those marked with an asterisk * in the accessory barrel list. ;)

Tim

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Oops! Thanks for clarifying that Tim.  It did slip me that the .357 is a low pressure cartridge.  Appreciate the back-up.    ;)