Author Topic: Off to the sale barn she goes  (Read 614 times)

Offline Hud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Off to the sale barn she goes
« on: June 14, 2003, 04:37:05 AM »
Well, we've decided to take Maple, our mare (Percherion/Arab) to the sale barn.  Kinda sad to see her go, :cry: but she is just too much work compaired to my mules and eats twice what they do. So then less work and less feed will make me happy. :lol:

We had bought her as a brood mare to raise mule colts out of but it will really be money ahead to go out and buy a colt in the color and style we want for $600 to $1500.  

I've have taught her to come to a whistle or the sound of gunfire. She comes at a run. I have saddled her many times, sat in the saddle and went around the round pen a couple of times.  I've also walked her through my posse obsticle course. She goes over the teeter-toter, and  through the tires and logs. She goes through the plastic walls and the tin can area, no problem.
I can walk her almost over the top of a flare. Shoot off her back. Fans and smoke no problem either. Leads prefect, gives her front and hindquarters on que.

I think I'll make a tape of all this and play it on a portable TV for folks, before she goes into the arena auction.

I may have to get another horse for posse work.  I'm just not sure if my mule Sota, will do some things she thinks is not safe, that she will need to do to be a posse horse. She has come a long ways though.  I'll give her to next spring before I start looking.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.